1402 - the first mention of Starczynów (presently part of Bukowno)
the 15th c . - the beginnings of the exploitation and smelling of the lead ore
1555 - the Żupnik (a contemporary district chief) of Olkusz, Jost Ludwik Decjusz, starts the construction of a lead works
1950 - the construction of the Bolesław Mining and Metallurgical Plants started
1962 - Bukowno recognised as town. The origins of the name can be traced to the local dense beech forests (beech = pol. buk).
History of town
Bukowno is located in the southern part of Poland, half-way between two major cities: Kraków and Katowice. It is situated within the area of two deserts, its landmarks being white calciferous rocks, forests and old strip mines. Geologically, the area was formed during the Tetriary Period - the land is mildly hilly as a result of water, wind and glacial influence.The natural features are considerably deformed because of human activities (dumping grounds, strip mines, embankments). Almost one-sixth of the Commune's area is subject to hydraulic filling performed by the Szczakowa Filling Mine.
History of town
April 2nd, 1991 saw in incorporation of the rural administrative districts of Bukowno Stare and Wodąca. The population density ratio is 174 people per 1 sq. km. Bukowno is an industrial town whose character is largely determined by the Bolesław Mining and Metallurigcal Plants. In spite of its industrial growth and the quick development of the municipal infrastructure, Bukowno - with its vast forested areas, the river and the nearby Pustynia Błędowska (the Błędowska Desert) - managed to preserve its character of a recreation centre.
Rainbow in Bukowno
Kraków , in English also spelled Krakow or Cracow is one of the largest and oldest cities in Poland , with a population of 756,336 in 2007 (1,403,247 in the Kraków-Tarnów unincorporated area).Situated on the Vistula river in the Lesser Poland region, the city dates back to the 7th century. It was the capital of Poland from 1038 to 1596, the capital of the Grand Duchy of Kraków from 1846 to 1918, and the capital of Krakó w Voivodeship from the 14th century to 1999. It is now the capital of the Lesser Poland Voivodeship.
Kraków has traditionally been one of the leading centres of Polish scientific, cultural and artistic life. As the former national capital with a history encompassing more than a thousand years, the city remains the spiritual heart of Poland. It is a major attraction for local and international tourists, attracting seven million visitors annually. Famous landmarks include the Main Market Square with St. Mary's Basilica and the Sukiennice Cloth Hall, the Wawel Castle, the National Art Museum, the Zygmunt Be l l at the Wawel Cathedral, and the medieval St Florian's Gate with the Barbican along the Royal Coronation Route. In 1978 Kraków's historic centre, which includes the Old Town, Kazimierz and the Wawel Castle was included in the list of World Heritage Sites .