1. Program Director/Principal Investigator (Last, First, Middle): BREYSSE, Patrick N.
Provide the following information for the key personnel in the order listed on Form Page 2.
Follow this format for each person. DO NOT EXCEED FOUR PAGES.
NAME POSITION TITLE
Spiro, Mary Ann Science Writer, Media Relations Coordinator
EDUCATION/TRAINING (Begin with baccalaureate or other initial professional education, such as nursing, and include postdoctoral training.)
INSTITUTION AND LOCATION YEAR(s) FIELD OF STUDY
University of Maryland, College Park B.S. 1982-1986 Journalism
University of Maryland, College Park B.S. 1982-1986 Agronomy
University of Maryland, University College 9 credits 2007 Biotech Management
Johns Hopkins University M.S. 2008-2010 Biotechnology
The Writer’s Center 2008 Science Writing
A. Positions and Honors
2007-Present Science Writer/ Media Relations Coordinator, Institute for NanoBioTechnology, Johns Hopkins
University. Support communication about INBT programs, services and research to internal
and external audiences, faculty, staff and students; write, edit and produce photography and
video related to INBT programs, students and faculty; utilize print, web, and multimedia
resources; liaise with media to promote INBT research and activities; instruct students in best
practices for science communications through workshops and courses.
Previous Positions and Employment
1987-1989 Research Assistant, Master’s Program in Soil Microbiology, Department of Agronomy,
University of Maryland, College Park
1989 Editorial Assistant, USDA, Soil Conservation Service, Greenbelt, MD
1990-1992 Radio News Announcer, WILL-AM 580, University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, IL
1998-1999 Writer-Editor, CityArts Magazine, Manhattan Arts Council, Manhattan, KS
1999-2002 News Reporter, The Manhattan Mercury, Manhattan, KS
2002-2005 Writer-Editor, Office of Marketing and Communications, Sinai Hospital, Baltimore,
2005-2006 Public Relations Specialist, Office of Marketing and Business Development, Carroll Hospital
Center, Westminster, MD
2006-2007 Editor, Office of External Affairs, Publications Group, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD
Other Experience and Professional Memberships
2003-2004 Writer-editor, Md.MD; http://www.mdmdmagazine.org/
2006-present Member, D.C. Science Writer’s Association
2007-present Instructor, Communication for Scientists and Engineers, Johns Hopkins Intersession
2007-present Member, Hopkins Biotech Network
2005-2006 Writer-editor, Hospital News; http://www.carrollhospitalcenter.org/content/HospitalNews.htm
2005-2007 Freelance writer, Carroll Magazine; http://www.carrollmagazine.com/
2001-2008 Book reviewer, ForeWord; http://www.forewordmagazine.com/
2007-2009 Freelance writer, Maryland; http://www.oea.umaryland.edu/communications/magazine/
2009-present Baltimore Science News Examiner; http://www.examiner.com/x-6378-Baltimore-Science-News-
PHS 398/2590 (Rev. 11/07) Page 111 Biographical Sketch Format Page
2. Principal Investigator/Program Director (Last, First, Middle):
1986 Society for Professional Journalists Scholarship
1987 Best Oral Presentation, Soil Science Society of American, Northeast Branch
2002 Kansas Press Association Award
2003 Kansas Press Association Award
2004 Association of Marketing and Communications Professions Award, Feature Writing
2004 APEX (Awards for Publications Excellence) Award
2006 ContentWise Magnum Opus Gold
B. Peer-reviewed publications/other selected publications.
1. J.S Angle, M.A. Spiro, A.M. Heggo, M. El-Kherbawy and R.L. Chaney. “Soil microbial-legume interacts in
heavy metal contaminated at Palmerton, PA”, Trace Subst. Environ. Health; Vol/Issue: 12; 22. annual
conference on trace substances in environmental health; 23-26 May 1988; St. Louis, MO, USA
2. 567 published articles in The Manhattan Mercury, Manhattan, KS
3. “New Frontiers in Dental Research and Education,” 2007 Maryland magazine, pp 44-45.
3. “Dental School Researchers Lead Efforts to Eradicate Noma,” 2008 Maryland magazine pp.17-20.
4. “School of Pharmacy: Putting a Price on Prevention,” 2009 Maryland magazine, pp.22-24.
1. Attended “Communicating Health News Across the Media Spectrum” 2007 EurekAlert! PIO Seminar, Nov 2,
2007 National Press Club, Washington, DC.
2. Presented to the Mid-Atlantic Chapter of the American Medical Writers Association, “What is the Institute for
NanoBioTechnology,” November 12, 2007 Fall Meeting/Dinner, Bethesda, Marriott, Bethesda, MD
3. Attended “How College Can Obtain National and Regional Publicity” 22nd Annual Conference
Tremont Plaza Hotel, Baltimore MD June 17-18, 2008
4. Attended “Using Multimedia to Communicate Science and Health News” 2008 EurekAlert! PIO Seminar,
Dec. 12, 2008 National Press Club, Washington, DC.
PHS 398/2590 (Rev. 05/01) Page Continuation Format Page