Students begin working with skills that are appropriate for their specific needs and then progress at their own pace as their skills develop. Automatically placed a a level after the initial sign-in. This level is usually lower quite low, so the student moves through it rapidly and with success. Success Breeds Success
Program has built in auto-promotion.
FREQUENCY TRUMPS DURATION Teachers must monitor regularly. I suggest you block out a time to check each week – i.e. while you are snacking on Friday treats.
Work with the Lit. Specialists at your building to establish a schedule and determine the eligibility of individual students. There are 15 licenses available per log-in time. This means only 15 students on at one time – district wide.
Students new to Lexia Generally takes less than ten minutes How do teachers view Auto Placement results? Teachers can view the results of Auto Placement by running a Class Auto Placement Report . This report lists the students in the class who have taken Auto Placement along with the Auto Placement test used, the date it was taken, and the resulting placement program and level. To run a Class Auto Placement Report, in MyLexia, click the Reports tab, click Class, and then select Auto Placement Report .
This is the screen that students will see to make activity choices. Each time a unit is completed within an activity, one of the tower blocks is filled. The Yellow Dots indicate an area in need of instruction which we will talk about later.
While students are working in activities, you can click on the top left of the screen to see the student’s name (as s/he logged into the program), the name and unit of the activity, and the number of times s/he has repeated that unit. In Strategies for Older Students, this button is located on the lower left corner of the screen. Repeating Audio Students should be encouraged to use the repeat button to ensure they correctly hear a word or sound before responding. To repeat audio, click on the top right corner of the activity screen. In Strategies for Older Students, to repeat instructions, click the directions button on the bottom left corner of the activity screen. To repeat words or sounds, click the speaker button at the top right of the activity screen. Adjusting Volume Students can adjust the volume from within the activities. On the keyboard, press the + key to increase the volume and the – key to decrease the volume. Audible clicks will indicate that adjustments are being made.
Check with your literacy specialist.
Handouts Progress Skills Usage – shoot for 30 minutes five days a week for targeted, 20 minutes 5 days a week or 30 minutes 3 days a week – although frequency trumps duration At home use: targeted students Kathy’s recommendation for eligibility (copy email)
1. Howard-Suamico SchoolsInitial Training Session March 5, 2012
2. Moving Through the Program Grade 4 to Adult
3. Level Correlations
4. Maximum Potential
5. Student AccessThe Lexia software needs to be “pushed” to individual computers. It is not web-based (exception for teacher access). Greatest success has been on computer lab computers, teacher workstations, full size laptops and the base computer of the Extendas. Minis can be used, but may freeze or experience delays.
6. Student SoftwareAutomatic Placement TestFirst time a “NEW to Lexia” student http://screencast.com/t/N6c5tCIGTnbf log-ins using their unique log-in information.Icon on the desktop or under Network ApplicationsGenerally takes less than 10 minutes.Click on the icon to the right to see a tutorial.Students may begin student activities immediately after the AP test, time permitting. Click on picture to activate screencast.
7. Student View – The Towers Teacher Tip: As you become more familiar with the activities, have the student show you his towers before shutting down. It is a quick way to determine if he is having difficulty with a unit without going through the teacher access site.
8. http://screencast.com/t/nXxEx4wVDSample Activities (5 minutes) Note: The student should Performance Information Repeat NOT press the stop icon audio. before the GO icon appears. The tower will not fill in for that activity until he completes it. Click on picture to activate screencast.
9. http://screencast.com/t/xQbfa0nhV4vB Activities by Level – What are the students doing? Access to activity descriptions at each level:1. 2. Click on icon for tutorial. (1 minute) 3. Dropdown menu
10. Teacher Accesswww.mylexia.comWe are working on establishing consistent teacher usernames and passwords. Forest Glen teachers use email address and first four of first and last name (Exceptions: those who attended Lexia-sponsored training.)
11. http://screencast.com/t/McYaI1mYRIGhThe Home Page Click on picture to activate screencast.
12. http://screencast.com/t/rYxkAMvdotQTeacher Reports Click on picture to activate screencast.
13. http://screencast.com/t/PEFHRLfx3MTeacher Resources Smartboard, too. Click on picture to activate screencast.
14. Helpful Hints – learned from experience Silent E Activities Tap the Vowelsbag, flag, rag – some dialect Don’t click stop until the stopconsiderations (silent e) and go signs both appear.Shoot for 30 minutes to get Yellow dots – headphone20-25 of usage. splitters. Sometimes the directions are an issue.
15. Closer Look at the ReportsHome Page (combined report)
16. Closer Look at the Reports Home Page Pt. 2 (combined report)
17. Question and Answer – What is giving you “yellow dots”?Scheduling and Eligibility – The 16 th log-in will be denied access. Q. and A. Exploration Time: Teacher: www.mylexia.com username: firstname.lastname@example.org password: success Student Login – Desktop username: Lexia password: Lexia
18. Thank You for ComingReminder: My Learning Plan Mark CompleteQuestions:Email: email@example.com