Chat rooms are an area of the web where you
need to be the most careful.
It's easy to forget that you are in a public quot;placequot;
& you don't necessarily know the true identity of
anyone in the room.
Never give out Private Information
• Credit card numbers
• School name
• Mother’s Maiden Name
• Last name
• Phone numbers
• Social Security Numbers
Who can see what you put
• Your parents & grandparents
• Friends & neighbors
• Future spouse & in-laws
• Future boss & friends
• Future colleges
Be careful what you talk about
• Be cautious when
communicating with people
you don’t know, especially
if the conversation starts to
be about sex or physical
• Don’t lead them on - you
don’t want to be the target
of a predator’s grooming.
• Stop, Block, and Tell
Stop, Block and Tell
If you are targeted by a cyberbully:
Don't do anything. Take 5! to calm down.
Block the cyberbully or limit all
communications to those on your buddy list.
• and Tell!
Tell a trusted adult, you don't have to face
Victim vs. Perpetrator
• Kids aren't just potential
victims. They also can do
things that can hurt other
• This can range from being
rude and obnoxious to
committing crimes online.
• Anything you say about anyone can be viewed
by people all over the world and can have a
damaging effect on the person being talked
• You should never post
anything about another
person that could in any
way harm that person.
• That includes publishing
names, addresses, or
phone numbers of
anyone you know.
Refrain from saying bad
things about other
people in public forums,
even if you feel they are
true, and even if you are
angry with that person.
• Only share information in chat rooms that
you want everyone in the world to know
• Deleted pictures & information are NEVER
gone and can be found years later
• Google your name often
Internet Safety Tip
• Never arrange a meeting without asking a
• If a parent agrees, you should meet in a
public place with your parent accompanying
you; NEVER ALONE
Never respond to messages that are:
Make you feel uncomfortable
How to Prevent Online Fights
• Discuss ways to deal with anger.
• It's not your fault if someone is rude,
obnoxious, belligerent, or mean,
• But do not respond to comments that are
mean and provocative.
• Stop, Block, and Tell
• It's normal to sometimes get angry
• If you express anger on the Internet it's
sometimes difficult to resolve disputes.
• You don't have the normal clues you get when
you're with someone in person.
• When people are communicating with text, or in
writing, sarcasm and some humor can be
insulting instead of funny.
Be Respectful Online
• Avoid getting into online arguments / disagreements.
• Speak your mind in forums, newsgroups, & chat
• Treat others with respect and try not to use words
that could be offensive.
• If you are using humor or sarcasm, you can
sometimes avoid misunderstandings by using
emoticons (smileys) that express emotions: A simple
quot;:-)quot; (for quot;grinquot;) next to a statement can make all the
Read between the “lines.”
• It may be fun to check out new people for
friendship or romance, but be aware that,
while some people are nice, others act
nice because they’re trying to get
• Flattering or supportive messages may be
more about manipulation than friendship
Chat warning signs…
• “Let’s go private.” (leave the public chatroom
and create a private chat or move to instant-
messaging or phone texting)
• “Where’s your computer in the house?”
• “I know someone who can get you a
• “I know a way you can earn money fast.”
• “You seem sad. Tell me what’s bothering
• “What’s your phone number?” “You are the
love of my life.”
How to Avoid Problems in
• Don’t go into unmoderated chat rooms. Only enter
rooms run by a reputable company or organization
that monitors activity.
• Consider creating a quot;chatquot; screen name. This name
would be one that is different than your e-mail
address. This could help prevent unwanted Spam
mail from coming to you.
• Never give out personal information in a chat room.
• Never agree to get together with anyone you meet
in a chat room without first checking with your
Behavior Checklist for Chat Rooms
Inappropriate behavior in chat rooms:
Remember that people are not always
who they seem to be.
Be very careful about people who offer
easy solutions to difficult problems or
make offers that are quot;too good to be true.quot;