1. Energy Resources A natural resource that can beconverted by humans into forms ofenergy in order to do useful work!
2. Nonrenewable• These are energy resources that cannot be replaced after they have been used or need thousands to millions of years to be replaced.• Like What?
3. Fossil Fuels• Fossil fuels are energy resources that formed from the buried remains of plants and animals that lived millions of years ago.• The plants stored energy from the sun during photosynthesis. (CO2 + H2O Glucose + O2) (in sunlight )• Animals stored this same energy by eating the plants.• So, fossil fuels are concentrated forms of the sun’s energy!
4. Fossil Fuels
5. The higher the carbon content, the cleaner the fuelburns.
6. Recycling just one aluminumcan saves enough energy to runa television set for four hours!
7. The pioneers who settled the American Westoften dug wells to find water.Occasionally, they were disappointed becausethey struck oil, for which they had no use!
8. Electrical Energy from Fossil Fuels• Burning fossil fuels are the primary source of energy in the United States.• K.E. electrical energy by an electric generator.
9. In 1882, Thomas Edison built the firstelectrical generating station designed toprovide electrical energy to homes andbusinesses in Manhattan.
10. Nuclear Energy• Nuclear power plants generate thermal energy that boils water to produce steam. The steam turns a turbine, which rotates a generator that converts K.E. electrical energy.
11. Nuclear Fission
12. Of all the energy used by a standard light bulb, onlyone-tenth is converted to light energy. The rest isthermal energy. That’s why light bulbs are soooooohot after they have been on for a while.
13. Renewable Energy Resources An energy resource that can be used and replaced in nature in a short period of time.