3. The Internet never forgets<br />Any picture you post or comment you make lives in a virtual afterlife etched into archives, algorithms and a web of hyperlinks. <br />http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/fashion/03reputation.html<br />
4. 81% of children under the age of two currently have some form of online presence — <br />http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20101006006722/en/Digital-Birth-Online-World<br />
5. 93% of teens 12-17 use the Internet regularlyto …<br />
7. Teens<br />69% have updated their status on social networking sites to include their physical location <br />51% say they’ve given out personal information online to someone they don’t know in the offline world <br />43% shared their first name<br />24% shared their email address<br />8% shared a personal photo of themselves<br />12% shared cell phone number <br />28% chat with people they don’t know in the offline world <br />http://www.harrisinteractive.com/vault/McAfee-Secret-Teen-Lives-2010-06-22.pdf<br />
8. COPPA<br />COPPA or the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act requires U.S.-based websites that collect personal information from people under the age of 13 to obtain permission from parents or guardians before asking for such data<br />http://www.coppa.org/<br />
9. CIPA<br /><ul><li>CIPA or The Children’s Internet Protection Act requires that schools and libraries who receive E-rate discounts on technology must block or filter Internet access to pictures that are: </li></ul>(a) obscene, <br />(b) child pornography, or <br />(c) harmful to minors (for computers that are accessed by minors)<br />http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/cipa.html<br />
11. What’s a parent to do?<br />Talk to your teen:<br /><ul><li>What are the coolest or newest websites?
12. Will you show me your favorite sites?
13. How do you know this friend?
14. Where did they find this photo?</li></ul>Friend your teen on Facebook (but please Mom, no embarrassing baby pics or comments ;-)<br />Encourage you teen to become creative on the Internet with Flickr, Wikis, Blogs, etc.<br />Have an unplugged dinner at least once a week.<br />
15. Disconnect to connect<br />http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17ZrK2NryuQ&feature=player_embedded<br />