1. Building Bridges between Academic TribesGroup blogging for young researchers across academic disciplines Martin Rehm, Florian Henning, Joeri Bruynickx, Koen Beumer, Daniëlle Verstegen, Jeroen van Merriënboer AECT 2012, Louisville
2. Blogs• January 2009 - 133 million blogs (Meyer, 2010)• “new form of mainstream personal communication” (Rosenbloom, 2004)• “distributedness” (Lave & Wenger, 1991)• “collective intelligence” (Chu, Hwang, Tsai & Chen, 2009)• Group Blog (Philip & Nicholls, 2009)
3. Academic Tribes - Common Culture
4. SHARE-IT• Support & Help for Academic REsearchers by using Information Technology• Generic Skills: – archive one’s literature (e.g. Mendeley) – statistical software packages (e.g. STATA)• Sharing (tacit) knowledge Community of Practice (Lave & Wenger, 1991)
5. Element of Ownership• “from researchers - for researchers”• “Talents” share information – free from domain-specific jargon – practical example (from own research)
6. Linking Virtual andActual Worlds• positively influences the level of activity & general level of recognition amongst the target group (e.g. Klamma, Chatti, Duval, Hummel, Thora, Kravcik, et al., 2007)• Linking up with workshop-type events at e.g. the university library
7. (Rich) Media• positively influence user concentration and contribute to user perceived learning outcomes (Liu, Liao & Pratt, 2009)• interactive presentations• screen recordings• social bookmarking• …
8. “Perpetual Beta”(Procter, Williams, & Stewart, 2010)Web 2.0 structures shouldnot be fixed and capable ofadapting to new trends &demands  “the principle of evolvability” (Dron, 2007)
9. “If you build it,will they come?”• Unified Theory of Acceptance and Use of Technology (UTAUT) – 2 items (Venkatesh, Morris, Gordon, & Davis, 2003) + Focus Group Meeting• Individuals’ knowledge sharing intentions (IKSI) – 10 items (Bock, Zmund, Kim, & Lee, 2005)• Respondents (N) = 18 – 9 Social Science – 9 Health Science
10. Focus Group Meeting (UTAUT)• “If the contributions remain to generic, the blog becomes “just another collection of tricks and tools” that do not provide guidance on how to effectively implement them (Performance Expectancy)• “The fact that all blog contributions will be openly accessible on the internet can create a disincentive for young researchers to contribute” (Anxiety)• “need for some sort of management of the blog (e.g. maintainenance, sparking contributions, facilitating discussions) (Facilitating Conditions)
11. Behavioural Intention to Use the System(UTAUT)5,004,504,003,503,00 All Faculties2,50 Social Science Health Science2,001,501,000,500,00 I intend to contribute to the blog in the next 3 months. I plan to use the blog in the next 3 months.
12. Anticipated Reciprocal Relationships (IKSI) My knowledge sharing via the SHARE-IT blog would ...5,004,504,003,503,00 All Faculties2,50 Social Science Health Science2,001,501,000,500,00 … strengthen the ties between … get me well-acquainted with new … create strong relationships with … expand the scope of my existing members in the university members in the organization. members who have common association with other members in and myself. interests in the organization. the university.
13. Sense-of-Self Worth (IKSI) My knowledge sharing via the SHARE-IT blog would ...5,004,504,003,503,00 All Faculties2,50 Social Science Health Science2,001,501,000,500,00 … help other members in the organization solve problems.
14. Attitude toward Knowledge Sharing (IKSI) My knowledge sharing via the SHARE-IT blog would ...5,004,504,003,503,00 All Faculties2,50 Social Science Health Science2,001,501,000,500,00 … be an enjoyable experience. … be valuable to me. … be a wise move.
15. Subjective Norm (IKSI)5,004,504,003,503,00 All Faculties2,50 Social Science Health Science2,001,501,000,500,00 People who influence my behaviour think that I should share my People who are important to me think that I should share my knowledge knowledge with colleagues. with colleagues.
16. Open Questions• I think this is a fantastic initiative not only for Maastricht, but the broader research community. […] I would love to share my knowledge and hopefully help others to avoid pitfalls that Ive encountered! (Social Science)• Although I learned from some blogs […], I do not see myself blog about something yet. I do check the website regularly. (Social Science)• I think the blog is a good start. But training users of technology is a secondary challenge. Multimedia resources can go far for the "self-helper" but theres always room for hands on learning and teaching. (Social Science)
17. The Way Forward …• Integrate / branch off: – Graduate Schools – other target groups • Bachelor Students http://www.newavenergy.com/img/ti-16-3431- • Master Students 1_907.png • Teacher Training• Comparative Research Studies• Suggestions?