Crooked Creek History

222 views

Published on

A brief history of the history of Crooked Creek School, MSD Washington Twp., Indianapolis, IN

Published in: Spiritual, Business
0 Comments
1 Like
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

No Downloads
Views
Total views
222
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
5
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
3
Comments
0
Likes
1
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide
  • Crooked Creek History

    1. 1. Crooked Creek <ul><li>1837 - 2009 </li></ul>
    2. 2. Pioneer Days <ul><li>School #7 - 1876 </li></ul>
    3. 3. A Permanent Location <ul><li>John Wesley Roberts gave about an acre of ground to the township trustee... as long as it was used for educational purposes. </li></ul><ul><li>Mr. Roberts died during the Civil War, in 1864. His grave is close to the intersection of Cold Springs Rd. and Michigan Rd. </li></ul>
    4. 4. A Permanent Building <ul><li>Earliest schools were log or frame; susceptible to fire </li></ul><ul><li>1891 - first brick building “Bell Tower” </li></ul><ul><li>Crooked Creek School </li></ul>
    5. 5. Supportive Community <ul><li>1916 - smaller schools consolidated into fewer locations </li></ul><ul><li>Built to be able to expand </li></ul><ul><li>Entrance faced Michigan Road </li></ul>
    6. 6. Growing... <ul><li>1927 - north end mirrored the south end </li></ul><ul><li>Ornate entrance still faced Michigan Road </li></ul><ul><li>Growing population </li></ul>
    7. 7. Still growing... <ul><li>1946 </li></ul><ul><li>Yet another addition, to the back side (west) of the building </li></ul>
    8. 8. Modernizing... <ul><li>1964 </li></ul><ul><li>Entrance moved to west side of building </li></ul><ul><li>Michigan Road had become a major thoroughfare </li></ul>
    9. 9. A Total Rebuild <ul><li>CC “closed” in 1983 for reconstruction </li></ul><ul><li>Students and some teachers moved to Grandview </li></ul><ul><li>Oldest parts of CC were demolished; integrated into new building </li></ul>
    10. 10. A Modern School <ul><li>CC Reopened in fall, 1985 </li></ul><ul><li>‘ Open Concept’ design to facilitate IGE </li></ul><ul><li>Grounds feature wooded areas, creek, playground area </li></ul>
    11. 11. Reminders of the Past... <ul><li>“ The Arch”: former entrance saved as a landmark during reconstruction </li></ul><ul><li>Helps envision location of former building(s) </li></ul>
    12. 12. Full Circle? <ul><li>2005 - dedication of SerVaas Cabin on CC grounds, near the creek </li></ul><ul><li>Opportunities to learn lessons of the past to enhance our future </li></ul><ul><li>Supportive parents and neighbors still vital partners </li></ul>

    ×