Ada academy how to be a ---flawless programmerPresentation Transcript
How to be a ***Flawless
Why do you want to be a
● Flexible schedule
● Intellectual challenge
What scares you about programming?
● Looking “dumb”
● Making a *big* mistake
● Pressure to be the best
● Pressure to be active in open source
Making a mistake
● Worst case
○ you find out you work with immature people
● Best case
○ you learn, your company learns
○ nothing teaches you something deeper than failure
Always be learning.
● Harvard CS50
● JS the Good Parts
No, really. Always be learning.
● Code Complete
How to handle feedback
● Don’t take it personally
○ feedback is hard to give well
● Value the perspective
● Find the truth and take action
How to give feedback
● Give negative feedback privately
○ stay constructive, even in difficult situations
● Give positive feedback publicly
○ people remember how you make them feel
What to do with negative experiences
○ Don’t put up with shit.
● Believe in yourself first
● Find support
● Be proactive
What about Mentorship?
● Take on a big project
○ have an advisor/mentor available to answer
● Just ask
○ twitter, email, linkedin