• There are two different kinds of
grasslands: tropical and temperate.
Grasslands in the southern hemisphere
tend to get more precipitation than those
in the northern hemisphere.
• Grasslands are characterized as lands
dominated by grasses rather than large
shrubs or trees.
• Temperate Grasslands have different names in
– The Veld of Africa
– The Steppes of Central Eurasia
– Surrounding areas of Australia
– The Pampas of South America
– The Prairies of North America
• Compared to the savanna, the diversity of
animal species is less in temperate grasslands.