• Deserts cover about a fifth of the earth's
surface and occur where rainfall is less than 50
• There are both hot and cold deserts. Antarctica
is the largest desert in the world, while the
Sahara in Africa is the largest of the hot deserts.
• Another type of desert is the coastal desert, for
example, the Atacama Desert in Chile.
• In the desert you will find many plants.
Deserts plants have many adaptations to
survive in such a dry environment. They
are good at storing and finding water.
The most common desert plant is the
• Plants have adapted so that their roots
are shallow enough to reach the water of
a storm, or deep enough to access the