2. Q: Why all the fuss about Fancy? A: Read on, my friend.
3. Q: OK, so what is Fancy?
4. Q: OK, so what is Fancy? A: Fancy is a website (http://www.thefancy.com) which brings together images that its users have found across the internet (or uploaded) and ‘fancied’ and which then allows other users to fancy them too.
5. Q: Umm, isn’t that a lot likePinterest?
6. Q: Umm, isn’t that a lot likePinterest? A: There are certainly similarities between stuff I fancy and stuff I pin, that’s for sure. The main difference with Fancy, however, is that it’s built on an ecommerce platform, so many of the products you see on Fancy you can buy directly from the site.
7. Q: Interesting. So what sorts ofbrands are selling on Fancy?
8. Q: Interesting. So what sorts ofbrands are selling on Fancy? A: Well, at the moment only people in the US can sell on the site, but that should change soon. Anyone can set themselves up as a seller, so it’s potentially a great way for small, independent businesses to give themselves an online shop-front with a genuine social layer on top. It’s a great place to discover quirky and ingenious products.
9. Q: What about brands thatalready have ecommerce sites?
10. Q: What about brands thatalready have ecommerce sites? A: There are plenty of those as well, it’s just that when you click on the ‘Buy it’ link on their products, you’re taken to the relevant site. Fancy is already starting to become a significant traffic driver to brand and retail ecommerce sites.
11. Q: Why would I shop on Fancyrather than anywhere else?
12. Q: Why would I shop on Fancyrather than anywhere else? A: For one thing you’re going to potentially see a great range of products in the same category from different manufacturers. For another thing, many of the brands selling on Fancy have created special deals only available on the site and which get unlocked when you fancy their products.
13. Q: But what if I’m not really lookingfor something specific to buy?
14. Q: But what if I’m not really lookingfor something specific to buy? A: That’s cool. Fancy’s a great place to browse…it’s like the ultimate place for window shopping! And it’s not just about products. People add loads of inspirational images, from travel destinations to food, from vintage cars to animals. It’s just full of really nice stuff.
15. Q: Anything else I should know?
16. Q: Anything else I should know? A: There’s a lot of content on Fancy, so to narrow things down you can look at specific categories and follow people who post things you like. You can also ‘show’ other people things on the site you fancy by email or their Fancy username, which might be useful around, say, birthdays or Christmas…
17. Q: Worth a look then?
18. Q: Worth a look then? A: Absolutely. But be warned, it can be pretty addictive…
19. Mark Pinsent Twitter: @markpinsent Fancy: mpinsent