Designers, clients, & UX folks alike need to STOP treating 'brand websites' as such and instead learn about the basic online business models to improve design, the experience, & show ROI EVEN IF YOU DON'T SELL ANYTHING!!!!
Brand Websites Must Die!
Understanding Online Business Models for Greater ROI & Design
Excerpt: NYC UPA Keynote
Designing Outcomes: Feb 2009
First in a series of short education presentations
Book: Search Analytics - Conversations With Your Customers
• Anticipated release: December 2009
• Book website: RosenfeldMedia.com/books/SearchAnalytics
• Co-Author: Lou Rosenfeld
Consultant, Author, & Speaker
• User Experience
• Web Analytics
• Behavioral Targeting: (Machine Learning & Neuroscience)
Blog: MarkoHurst.com “Insightful Analytics”
Business Models & Goals
Online Business Models
• Buy now
1. Lead Gen
• Data Collection
1. Support/Customer Care
• Each business model comes with it’s own inherent KPIs. For me details see Eric Peterson’s “Big Book of KPIs”
•Most sites fall into at least 2 models
•Once you determine your business models all decisions are then vetted against it/them
Provide clearly defined AND quantifiable objectives
2. Establish a baseline
– Where are we now?
3. Set a goal
– Where do we want to be?
– How will we get there?
“ re s c to e s tis c n b 7% a ro sUS m rke in thene 12m nthsviac to e
Inc a e us m r a fa tio y c s a t xt o us m r
s p rt” Goal / + Quantifiable
up o +
“Make my bonus”
“ le n s p d s n”
C a im le e ig + Goal / - Quantifiable
- Goal / - Quantifiable
“Capture 100K visitor emails via online coupons over 3 months on our
“XYZ” microsite for our CRM program” + Goal / + Quantifiable
* Remember the 3 part process
If your goals include…
• Awareness, consideration, preference, purchase, repurchase/retention, etc.
If your already or you want to collect, provide, or
• PII (personally identifiable info): email, names, age, etc
thinking of your site as just a ‘brand website’!
* You are simply losing opportunities, visitors, & customers to your competition
Lead Generation: Trial Example
Step 1 Step 3
Step 4 (G1)
* If you think of this as a “brand” site, you might not care how many samples you
gave away, names collected, or potential customers converted. But as a Lead Gen Marko Hurst
site, it’s you lifeblood.
Lead Generation KPIs
1. Overall conversion
2. Conversion by campaigns
3. Drivers to registration process
4. Step-by-step conversion analysis via the registration
5. Analysis of registration process dropouts
6. Conversion of leads to actual customers
* Measure, Monitor, & Optimize!
Lead Generation: Trial - Scenario Analysis Example
* Reporting vs Analysis. Test Scenario Analysis against User Testing. Tie back to
wireframes, personas, & segments. Marko Hurst
Lead Generation: Trial - Multivariate Testing
* Sorry to inform all of you traditional & “gut feeling” types, but YOU CANNOT
OUTPERFORM optimization techniques. (BTW no one can) Marko Hurst
Lead Generation: Trial - Monetization Model
* The proof is in the pudding! You can download this file from my website