Start with a definition. People think about SM in lots of ways, here’s our definition at Barkley.
Where do these conversations happen? All over the place. The array of social media platforms is bewildering. From social networks to blog platforms to video conversation platforms.
At Barkley, we define the social media ecosystem in three categories:
Korean BBQ trucks in LA 48,000 followers on Twitter Mostly tweet their locations Involve their fans in contests, e.g. recent crowd-sourced T-Shirt design contest Lines around the block
Canadian home builder. Uses blog, Twitter, Facebook and YouTube to communicate a different experience (Not the horror stories). Sell direct to consumer. 16 houses in 1007. 40 in 2008. “ I spend a lot of time online, but it’s really paying off.”
Small UK organic farming and composting company Podcast. Cinema. Blog. Expanded from serving small community of 100 people to a global audience. Thousands of listeners to their podcast – over 50 5 star ratings on iTunes Dell 2008 Global Small Business Excellence Award
We’ve been trained as marketers to think of people as their “demographics” -- their age, HH income, etc. But in the social media space, people are less defined by their demographics and more defined by their activities and attitude: This figure is from Groundswell and it defines the different behaviors people exhibit in social media.
Small, modern art gallery in Toronto. Decided to create blog to let people know about No magic bullet – people like to get info in several different ways. Uses traditional methods – signage, postcards, mailing list PLUS Email newsletter, blog, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn. “ Try to reach people the way they want to be reached.”
And of course, as you would expect, Zappos uses Twitter (and social media in general) as a forum for customer service. They have a dedicated Twitter account to handle service issues. Uncover service opportunities Initiate response Amplify praise, reinforce service reputation And it works.
Dell IdeaStorm – 10,000 ideas, 200 implemented, sales results? Implemented in 6 wks, btw. Launched in 2007 August of 2008, Dell launched 9 new laptops “designed” by ideastorm community
Be careful how you choose to measure. In many cases, true ROI is going to be impossible to gauge.
• Three-quarters of the small business
owners have not found sites such as
Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn helpful
for expanding business
• 86% have not used social networking
sites for information or advice
• 10% said they have sought business
advice and information on expert blogs
Source: Social Media Optimization, 10/09
Will it Work for You?
• Are you prepared to invest the time?
• Will you listen and engage in
• Are you comfortable with transparency
• Can you commit for the long term?
*Source: Forrester Research, Groundswell, 2008
Business SM SM Strategy Description
Research Listening Ongoing monitoring of consumers’ conversations with each
Marketing Talking Participating in and stimulating two-way conversations your
customers have with each other, or outbound communications
to your customers
Sales Energizing Making it possible for your enthusiastic customers to help sell
Service Supporting Company-provided support of enabling your customers to
support each other
Development Embracing Helping your customers work with you and/or each other to
come up with ideas to improve your products and services
*Source: Forrester Research, Groundswell, 2008
Lee Fit Ambassadors
• Identified 28 bloggers to approach based on 3 criteria:
• Content: Was the blogger writing about fashion for
• Engagement: How do her readers respond? Did she
acquire multiple comments each time she posted?
• Influence: Did she have solid site traffic? What was their
Technorati Authority and Rank?
1. Momma’s Review www.mommasreview.com
“What an amazing opportunity, I
A Mommy Story www.amommystoryreviews.blogspot.com the offer - and accept!”
3. Intricate Art www.intricateart.com
4. Posh Glam www.poshglam.com
5. Cool Moms Rule www.coolmomsrule.blogspot.com
6. Your Style Star www.yourstylestar.com “WOW! you aren't kidding - what an
7. awesome thing! I defintely want to be a
All American Mommy www.allamericanmommy.blogspot.com
8. Domestic Chicky www.domestic-chicky.com part of this.”
9. Karla’s Krazy Life www.karlaskrazylife.blogspot.com
10. Workout Mommy www.workoutmommy.com
11. Mommy Goggles www.mommygoggles.com
12. Mom’s Favorite Stuff www.momsfavoritestuff.com
13. Savvy Housewife www.savvyhousewife.com
“Sounds like fun, and I am interested in taking
part. What a great way to help other women get
14. Mamanista www.mamanista.com
a firsthand point of view on some specific jeans
15. Therapeutic Reviews and Giveaways www.themomreviews.com
- and finding a good pair is the bane of every
16. The Domestic Diva www.thedomesticdiva.org
woman's existence (particularly the mommy
17. Blissfully Domestic www.blissfullydomestic.comwith the muffin top to contend with. *laugh*).”
18. Mommin’ it Up www.momminitup.com
19. Motherhood Uncensored www.motherhooduncensored.typepad.com
20. Sarcastic Mom www.sarcasticmom.com
“In accordance with FTC guidelines and in the spirit of
the Blog With Integrity pledge
[http://www.blogwithintegrity.com] we encourage the
bloggers we work with to fully disclose that the
products they are reviewing and/or giving away were
provided to them at no charge by XXXXX.”