2. FreeEed popcorn is very popular with
lawyers, legal techs, IT, etc. Why?
• Up until now, eDiscovery was hard and
• At $100/GB, it can easily eat half of the
• 50% of the 1 million US lawyers are just now
getting into eDiscovery
• The other 50% are looking to lower the cost
• Enter FreeEed eDiscovery popcorn
• It comes as an application (called Virtual
Machine, or VM) - this is your popcorn kernel
• You can download as many as you want
• Or just make another copy :)
5. How do I cook it?
• You cook a FreeEed corn by adding your data
• If your lawsuit has much data (you are hungry)
- you just add more kernels
• And they work together (because it is a
• Don’t know what a Hadoop cluster is? - does
not matter, because it just works
6. Butter, spices?
• Q: But each lawsuit is different!?
– Very true, and you cook each kernel (lawsuit)
according to taste: spicy butter, creamy, or no butter
– Because they are separate kernels and because each
one is free
– That is, you apply different processing to each
7. Can I re-warm my popcorn later?
• That’s the beauty of it: since each lawsuit is
stored in its own kernel, you can archive it
individually and easily
• Try to do it with current multi-tenant system :(
• So you can store it for as many years as you
need. Then rewarm it (start the VM) - and it is
as good as before
8. Can I clean up the mess?
• Q: Sometimes I need to erase the data, can I
– Nothing easier - just delete the VM (through away
the kernels into the trash), and you are done
– You can even shred it, by shredding the VM data
9. No mixing!
– But how do I separate different lawsuits and not
intermingle data from different clients?
– Recall that each kernel is one case
– They never mix! Each kernel is cooked with its
own data and butter
– So no ethical problems? - None!
– Again, try this with multi-tenant systems :(
10. Only here
– So what is your magical recipe? Why can’t others
give me this wonder popcorn?
– Quite simply: you can have as many kernels as you
want because the license is free. With others each
– And if you have a lot of data, just cook a few
kernels together, they will do the job for you.
11. I want it!
• I am a lawyer, and I want your popcorn!
• Just go to our site, download the FreeEed
popcorn VM and start cooking
• What if I am lost?
• We will offer you support
• OK, I am buying (or just eating free for
12. My law firm wants it
– We want to make sure it will work in the future
– Recall that it is open source. It is here to stay
– It is built on standards, so others can continue
– You can even modify it to taste
– And customize it for your law firm
• But I need a lot! - Take all you want