Target Market Market A Market B
The design of Preserve • Males and Females 25-30 years of age. • Females 40+ years.
had to address problems • Condo or Small Home owner • Home owners.
for both generations • Both work full time. • Grow fruits and vegetables in their new garden.
while aesthetically • Intimidated by traditional methods of home • Her lifestyle is too busy to preserve using
respecting the retro canning. traditional methods of home canning.
tradition and modern
Jeff and Melissa are a young married couple. They have an Jane is a 40-year-old female. A mother of 4 and happily married.
abundance of fruits and vegetables that they just picked from Jane who lives in an urban community makes a joint income of
their garden. Neither one of them know how to can food nor have $90,000 a year. Throughout the season she cans different types
the time to learn the traditional process because they have busy of food mostly jams, jellies, vegetables and tomato juice. Jane has
schedules. They need a product that will ensure food safety and is been canning for years but time is more of a problem and she just
easy enough for them to preserve any type of food. can’t dedicate the time she used to, canning the traditional way.
Jane needs a product that reduces the complexity of the traditional
and is more time efficient.
Market Gaps Food Prep Preserving Cooking
Potential Design Opportunities
After doing several blue ocean strategy
canvases, it became apparent that the features
of “Preserve” will be marketable to fit in any of
the 3 market areas: Food Prep, Preserving,
and Cooking. An abundance of products are
available in each of the market areas.
Cost Aesthetic Multi Functional Use of space Ease of Use Safety
Digital Food Steamer - $34 Electric Pressure Cooker - $100 GE Slow Cooker - $40 Bread Maker - $45
Water Bath Canner - $45 Pressure canner - 82 Deep Fryer - $45 Toaster Oven - $100
Photographic Analysis Operational Sequence Diagram
A step by step photographic analysis of the canning process The OSD was used to identify all decision making points
was used to narrow the focus of the project. It was identified in the process in order to move forth with the design
that the key problem areas were directly linked to the process of development. It became apparent that an intuitive user
canning as well as placing lids onto jars and sealing them. This interface was needed that was easy to use and would assist
became the task addressed by the proposed design. the user successfully.
NO Action in the User’s Mental State
• Safety An Action
• Uniformity Change in User’s Mental State
• Multiple work stations Previous Knowledge
Choices / Decisions
Lids & Jars
methods & recipies
• one v.s. multiple
1. Monitor - The pressure, temperature &
2. Ease of Use – User interface is intuitive 3
& reinforces confidence for user.
Manual & pre-programed setting.
3. Safe – Limits potential for injuries. I.e.
pressure build up or steam burns.
4. Multi Functional –Steralizes jars and
lids preparing for any method.
5. Versatile - Water bath and Hot pack
6. Use of Space –Storage of tools.
7. Human Factors - Display angled to
prevent glares and back strains.
A microcomputer is a computer with a
microprocessor as its central processing unit.
Results are reliable each time.
• To incorporate technology into “Preserve” to achieve superior performance
with safe and reliable results every time.
• Pre-programed selection of recipes and manual settings will make
“Preserve” easy to use for both markets.
• Bread maker- 18 different bread settings
• Rice cooker- special heat elements keep rice warm with out burning or
drying the rice.
• Slow cooker- 3 different cook settings.
Digital LED interface
• Flat panel digital read out
• Easy-clean control buttons
Low water indicator
Cancel button C
Enter (next step)
1. Retro and Contemporary style to respect the historic tradition and modern kitchen.
2. Repetitive horizontal and contour lines.
Base is needed for internal components to be housed but still seems bottom heavy.
Contouring lines and interface proportions need refined.
1. Polished aluminum
Home Canning System 2. High Heat Resistant ABS
3. Micro-Computer Technology
• Built in Thermostat- for automatic temperature control.
• Gasket Ring- Completely pressurized structure keeps the optimal
• Comfort Grip Handle with Steam Protector - Prevents steam
2 burns from hands while placing or removing something.
• LED Digital Display - Gives you easy to read controls and allows
you to monitor you time and settings as you can.
• Multi-Functional - Preserve incorporates all canning methods
which combine heat steam and pressure into one easy-to-use unit.
• Locking Pin - Prevents the lid from being opened while under pressure.
1 • Pressure Regulator Knob - If pressure exceeds its max knob will be
2 • Automatic Shut Off - Unit will automatically shut off when the pressure
has exceeded its max.
Sponsored Competition By:
T he Mangochine is a very inexpensive system that uses local mangoes to neutralize over-chlorinated
water in Haiti where 75 % of the population lives in poverty and make less than a dollar a day.
• Ways of agitating
• Children recess as
• Pictoral charts
Haitian potters can produce quantities of identical pots and already produce pots similar to this design.
NGO’s can create cardboard booklets with templates that can be distributed to local potters. winner
The cardboard templates can be used as references for shapes and dimensions.
Instructions are stamped inside of lid making the system easy to use.
To re-design the McGill Air Flow LDK making it more user friendly, portable, and compact
which will reflect the quality of product that McGill offers to its costumers.
Sponsored Competition By:
• Swivel handle for
• Compress flex tube for storage.
• Fold out try used to house
charts and as a work station.
Size, Transportation, and Intuitive interface where
all heavily emphasized in every client consulta-
tion of presenting concepts.
To develop a line of products to a specific identified target consumer segment of the market.
Age 36-55 years old
CEO or Executive
• Rhino computer model
• Detailed manufacturing process
• Only for pencil sharpener
• Client request
To design a family of 3 products that form a product line for a
fictitious sporting goods company.
• Water intermediate scuba divers.
• Line of products focusing on 18-30 year old gender neutral adults.
• Very stylish and color coordinated.
Conceptual Development :
Exploring color, material, and form to convey products as a family.
• Scuba Knife
• Depth and Pressure Gauge
• Scuba gloves