Interaction design is complex……..
Human – Computer Interaction
• Interaction Design Association, interaction
design, often abbreviated IxD, defines the
structure and behavior of interactive
systems. Interaction designers strive to create
meaningful relationships between people and
the products and services that they use, from
computers, to mobile devices, to appliances, and
Traditional Water fall
Core Principles of Idx
• Consistency - because people notice change
• Perceivability – invites interaction
• Learnability – makes interaction simple
• Predictability – sets accurate expectations
• Feedback – acknowledges our interactions
Principle forms the system
Building the interface for your audience
Understand context & motivation
Tailor the content for your audience
Understand the audience the behavior
Understand how people browse/use the interface
people are coming to the interface with specific goals in their mind.
Design to meet the goals & needs
Don’t get in way of the information
Simple, consistent & standard design : DO NOT MAKE PEOPLE THINK
REMEMBER : PEOPLE ARE LAZY. THEY WILL CHOOSE
WHATEVER IS EASIER.
If not using your interface is easier – so be it.
ARE YOU BORED ?
Let me share some cool designs with you in next slides……
Simple. Clean. White. Great use of Icons.
Simple. Clean. Yellow. Clever use of space. To the point.
Lets discuss NAVIGATION
Two main purpose of navigation :
1. Help people move around
2. Help them understand where they are
More on Navigation
- Content needs a structure
- Navigation Labels
- Use words what people are used to – No need to show your Language skills
-Post finalizing the structure
– Decide best way to display it.
Remember People move their mouse in straight line.
- Don’t use industry or company specific Jargons
- Law of Pragnanz
-The Law of Proximity
- The Law of Similarity
- The Law of Closure
-Or Gestalt Psychology
Using images & colours & perception of motion..
- Trichromatic theory
Understand cognitive biases
Communicate with labels & icons
Consider Framing effect
Understand Cognitive Load
Its not about animation, graphics, making associations &
providing structure……. How do you solve their problem ?
Its about people behavior !
Devil lies in the details
Consider your user & you will be fine.
Source of this presentation :
1. Internet ☺
2. Dr. Dave Hogue & Chris Nodder