View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
5 Steps To Creating A Lead Gen Machine & The
Predictable Revenue That CEOs Love
Twitter: @brianjcarroll @motoceo
Twitter Hashtag: #b2bleadgen
From A Salesforce.com Alum:
5 Steps To Creating A Lead Gen Machine &
The Predictable Revenue That CEOs Love
About Aaron Ross
• High school coding geek (NASA)
• Stanford Undergrad + GSB dropout
• CEO of LeaseExchange: ‐$5 Million
• Ironman Triathlon, Boulder Outdoor Survival School
• Created Salesforce.com’s Inside Sales Leadgen Team (&
$100 Million In Recurring Revenue)
• ‘Entrepreneur‐in‐Residence’ at Alloy Ventures ($1B)
• Author, “CEOFlow: Turn Your Employees Into Mini‐CEOs”
Now: I consult with companies on creating predictable
revenue & sales.
Created A $100M Inside Sales Team At Salesforce.com
A“Cold Calling 2.0” process and team that helped increase recurring
revenue for Salesforce.com by $100 million & grew F5000 bookings by
more than 60%
“Build A Sales Machine” Client: WPromote
Michael Stone, VP Sales, Wpromote
#1 ranked Inc500 Search Marketing Firm:
• “Working with Aaron Ross has been nothing short of
• His methods produced a profitable and scalable new stream
of predictable revenue.
• We saw at least 40+% new business growth.
• Deal size is still growing.
• We’re getting in the door with big brands like Overstock,
AT&T, IBM, etc. – people that would have never come to us.
• The best part is, we had a blast while doing it!”
Book Coming Fall 2010: “Predictable Revenue”
Early reviewer comments:
“I couldn’t put it down”, &
Register for a free excerpt at:
What Works In Sales Has Changed
All salespeople prospect Dedicated prospecting team
ABC / Always Be Closing Is there a mutual fit?
Measure activities (Dials) Measure results (qualified leads)
Cold calls Research, referral calls
Manipulative selling Short and sweet text emails
CRM hurts productivity CRM multiplies productivity
Long letters & emails Authentic selling
5 Steps To A Lead Gen Machine & Predictable Revenue…
1. Discover Your ‘Unique Genius’
2. Distinguish Your Leads: ‘Seeds, Nets & Spears’
3. Specialize Sales To Ensure Every Lead Gets The
Attention It Deserves
4. Build An Outbound Sales Machine (Cold Calling 2.0)
5. Become Indispensable To Your CEO
Discover Your Unique Genius,
“Your Purpose, Translated Into
Customer Success & Trust”
What Is Your Purpose, & How Is It Different?
Unique Genius Attracts Results
1. What is your purpose that is bigger than
– If your company is on the cover of BusinessWeek
for changing ____, what did you do?
2. Do you only say it or do you LIVE it?
– Salesforce.com “No software”
– Zappos: “Provide the best customer service
– Google: “Organize the world's information and
make it universally accessible and useful”
Forget About What You “Do”
• Customers care less about what you do than
the results you create
– “We are the leading application platform for widget
integration on the social graph…blah blah”
• My example:
– “I am a sales & management consultant” vs.
– “I help companies create predictable revenue” & “I help
leaders turn their employees into Mini‐CEOs”
• When someone asks “What do you do?”, pretend
they asked “How do you help customers?”
• What is your Ideal Customer Profile?
• Talk to your customers & ask them:
– What difference have you made to them?
– Why did they do business with you?
– Why do they continue to do business with you?
– Why would they refer others to you?
Distinguishing Lead Types
•Lower volume •Harder to increase
•High value per lead
•Medium work to increase
•Low value per lead
•Easiest to increase
Example Nets Funnel
___ Website MARKETING
___ Leads SALES
Cost per Lead ___ Qualified
___ Qualified SALES
$___ Avg /Oppty
__ Lead Qualification Reps
per __ Leads per Month
__ Account Execs per $__
Pipeline per Month Sales Cycle
20 Length ____ $___ Bookings
Example Spears Funnel (Cold Calling 2.0)
Define Ideal Target Profile
Prepare Add Target Accounts
Send __ Cold Emails / Make __ Mapping Calls
Work Responses (9% Response Rate)
__ Call Conversations
Begin Sales __ New Opportunities
__ Closed Deals
Specialize Sales Roles To Ensure
Every Lead Gets The Attention It
3 Keys To Making Contact
1. Train salespeople to be “business people
who can sell, not sales people”
– Use role‐playing
2. Keep initial emails/vmails short & relevant
– Make it about giving them value, not about you
– If they pick up: “Did I catch you at a bad time?”
3. Propose a specific time to talk
– Wrong: “Reach out when you have time”
– Right: “Are you free Thursday at 9a PST?”
6 Step Qualification Call Agenda
“Did I catch you at a bad time?
4.Position your solution
6.Next step recommendation
Total Time < 20 minutes
The Simplest Ways To Nurture Leads
• Two SIMPLE options that require < 4 hours
– An email newsletter (email out your blog posts)
– Hold a monthly webinar (or teleseminar)
– Share your expertise ‐ TEACH them something
beyond your product
– How can you help them do their job better?
– Be interesting / authentic (don’t be boring)
• More trust = more sales
You’ve Been Doing It Backwards
Cold Calling 1.0 Cold Calling 2.0
1. Cold CALL 1. Cold EMAIL
(9% response rate)
2. Cold Email 2. Warm call people who
respond (internal referrals)
Prospecting Emails: Less Is More
1. You can get a 9%+ response rate asking
2. State simply why you are reaching out –
and be honest! (In every way)
3. Make the first email SHORT & SWEET:
easy read & respond to on a blackberry
5‐Step Outbound Process
Build Run Email Sell The Pass The
List Campaigns Dream Baton
Highest Import Generate Connect Seamlessly
Revenue Into Internal Their Handoff To
Potential & Sales/Mar Referrals Need To Quota‐
Close Rates keting Your Solution Carrying
Law Of Reciprocity
• If you work to make others successful, they
will work to help you succeed
• Do you know what’s important to your CEO?
– It’s not leads
• All quality CEOs care about:
1.Money (Revenue, finance, metrics, investors)
2.People (Attracting, developing, turning them into
What’s The Value Of…
• A clear, step‐by‐step plan to create predictable
• The ability to repeatedly source sales‐ready leads
from ideal clients who aren’t calling you?
• The ability to attract and develop driven sales
• Peace of mind and freedom of predictable results
and self‐managing systems?
Best address for speaking, consulting or
(My personal email: email@example.com)