Produced by the Leamington Memories Group of LEAP
1809
All Saints’ parish churchas it appeared between 1816 &1825
All Saints’ Church about 1826showing the new tower and spire built in 1825
At some timebefore the FirstWorld War alarge new towerwas added to theSouth-West andthe main doorwas moved.
St Mary’s in the Fields - 1845daughter church of All Saints
Copps’s Royal Hotel was on the corner  of High Street and Clemens Street
St Mary’s Church Sunday School - 1929
All Saints 1900Note the horse-drawn ‘bus
Well House outside All Saints Church, 1930s
Note the Parthenon on the right with colonnades     and Regenesis at the end of the street                                ...
Old Post Office            on the rightBath Street 1845 – from the corner of High Street
Bath St looking towards the Town Hall
Mr FW Francis founded E Francis & Sons Ltd          in 1840 at 38 Bath St.          He had 3 assistants and a housekeeper
An early picture of the Pump Rooms
The Pump Rooms, Leamington Spa
The first electric tramoutside the Town Hall
Linden Avenue beside the Pump Rooms
Linden Walk - 1940’s
Pump Rooms café
Tea in the Pump Rooms
Bobby’s Restaurant
.Swimming Bath opened by Mayor John Fell, 1890
Pump Room GardensListening to the Band - 1900
The spire atop St Peter’s Church Tower   was removed early 1950’s, and the tower   height reduced for safety reasonsListen...
Talbot Inn outingto the White Lion at Radford Semele - 1925
An afternoon trip with the Midland Redto the Cotswolds - 5 shillings [5/-] in the early 1930s
ArcheryJephson Gardens – 1920s
Tennis TournamentJephson Gardens 1920s
Sunday School FestivalJephson Garden Pavilion 1910
Suspensio   n BridgeJephsonGardens
Floods at York Bridge 1932
Statue of Queen Victoria - 1932
Coronation Day – George V
An early view up the Parade - Regent Hotel on right
ON THE MARCH: Elephants on the Parade,           turn of the century,    to the fascination of passers-by
Lookingup theParade1920’s
Dormer Place The National Tailoring Company – a very upmarkettailors in the early 1900’s. Later to become a branch        ...
Regent Hotel and Lower Parade 1928                                     1928
Theatre RoyalRegent Grove    1932
The Warneford Hospital on the Radford Road               built in 1832
Warneford Hospital
Police Station
Leaving the Police  Headquarters       1937
Shrubland Street School
Clapham Terrace infants, 1917                                            Miss WilliamsMiss Turner                  BLOW! E...
Clapham Terrace Junior boys’ class     at the turn of the century
Clapham Terrace train outing to London, 1937
Frank Whittle’s father owned the    Leamington Valve and Piston Company, just off Regent Place.   He attended Leamington B...
Covent Garden - early 20th century
Delivery by Horse & Cart
George Cashmore and his handcart deliveringbread for the family business in the early 1900’s
Mr Gascoyne outside his shop      in the High Street
Fish Shop – Tavistock Street, 1938
Grandad’sprize-winning    onions    ~1910Grown on St Mary’s Allotments
Heart ofEngland Oak, marking the  centre of  England.
The War Effort    War Weapons Week – early 1940’s
This slideshow was made by the LEAPgroup with a grant from Awards for All.Our special thanks go to the late BillGibbons fo...
Leamington Spa pre-1939
Leamington Spa pre-1939
Leamington Spa pre-1939
Leamington Spa pre-1939
Leamington Spa pre-1939
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Leamington Spa pre-1939

4,374

Published on

Early pictures of Leamington Spa in Warwickshire, one of England's most attractive and historic Regency towns. Leamington History Group.

Published in: Education
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
4,374
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
4
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
0
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide
  • The new bridge – lower and more elegant – with Robbins Well on the corner of Victoria Terrace. With the exception of the Pump Rooms all the wells and aquifers were on the south side of the river – right down Bath Street and Clemens Street.
  • Very old view across the Leam – the bridge was a typical pack-horse bridge – later rebuilt
  • View from the north-east – you can see the new Pump Rooms in the distance
  • This view is from the South side – looking across from the corner of Gloucester Street and Church Street.
  • A later view with a tall tower added.
  • The area around St Mary’s Road was settled with prosperous families quite early
  • The Parish Church is beginning to take a familiar shape. Note the horse-drawn tram in the foreground, and the Aylesford Well on the right.
  • Bath Street looking South. The building with colonnades further down on the right is the Parthenon – later to be known as the Blue Café and then as Iceland Ltd.
  • Looking North towards the Parish Church and the River Leam.
  • Leamington Spa pre-1939

    1. 1. Produced by the Leamington Memories Group of LEAP
    2. 2. 1809
    3. 3. All Saints’ parish churchas it appeared between 1816 &1825
    4. 4. All Saints’ Church about 1826showing the new tower and spire built in 1825
    5. 5. At some timebefore the FirstWorld War alarge new towerwas added to theSouth-West andthe main doorwas moved.
    6. 6. St Mary’s in the Fields - 1845daughter church of All Saints
    7. 7. Copps’s Royal Hotel was on the corner of High Street and Clemens Street
    8. 8. St Mary’s Church Sunday School - 1929
    9. 9. All Saints 1900Note the horse-drawn ‘bus
    10. 10. Well House outside All Saints Church, 1930s
    11. 11. Note the Parthenon on the right with colonnades and Regenesis at the end of the street 1820 Bath St looking south, facing Clemens St, 1820
    12. 12. Old Post Office on the rightBath Street 1845 – from the corner of High Street
    13. 13. Bath St looking towards the Town Hall
    14. 14. Mr FW Francis founded E Francis & Sons Ltd in 1840 at 38 Bath St. He had 3 assistants and a housekeeper
    15. 15. An early picture of the Pump Rooms
    16. 16. The Pump Rooms, Leamington Spa
    17. 17. The first electric tramoutside the Town Hall
    18. 18. Linden Avenue beside the Pump Rooms
    19. 19. Linden Walk - 1940’s
    20. 20. Pump Rooms café
    21. 21. Tea in the Pump Rooms
    22. 22. Bobby’s Restaurant
    23. 23. .Swimming Bath opened by Mayor John Fell, 1890
    24. 24. Pump Room GardensListening to the Band - 1900
    25. 25. The spire atop St Peter’s Church Tower was removed early 1950’s, and the tower height reduced for safety reasonsListening to the Band
    26. 26. Talbot Inn outingto the White Lion at Radford Semele - 1925
    27. 27. An afternoon trip with the Midland Redto the Cotswolds - 5 shillings [5/-] in the early 1930s
    28. 28. ArcheryJephson Gardens – 1920s
    29. 29. Tennis TournamentJephson Gardens 1920s
    30. 30. Sunday School FestivalJephson Garden Pavilion 1910
    31. 31. Suspensio n BridgeJephsonGardens
    32. 32. Floods at York Bridge 1932
    33. 33. Statue of Queen Victoria - 1932
    34. 34. Coronation Day – George V
    35. 35. An early view up the Parade - Regent Hotel on right
    36. 36. ON THE MARCH: Elephants on the Parade, turn of the century, to the fascination of passers-by
    37. 37. Lookingup theParade1920’s
    38. 38. Dormer Place The National Tailoring Company – a very upmarkettailors in the early 1900’s. Later to become a branch of Natwest bank
    39. 39. Regent Hotel and Lower Parade 1928 1928
    40. 40. Theatre RoyalRegent Grove 1932
    41. 41. The Warneford Hospital on the Radford Road built in 1832
    42. 42. Warneford Hospital
    43. 43. Police Station
    44. 44. Leaving the Police Headquarters 1937
    45. 45. Shrubland Street School
    46. 46. Clapham Terrace infants, 1917 Miss WilliamsMiss Turner BLOW! Each infant had a hanky or piece of rag pinned on their jumper ready for the count-down: One -- Two -- THREE Morning Nose drill!
    47. 47. Clapham Terrace Junior boys’ class at the turn of the century
    48. 48. Clapham Terrace train outing to London, 1937
    49. 49. Frank Whittle’s father owned the Leamington Valve and Piston Company, just off Regent Place. He attended Leamington Boys College and gained his engineering experience in hisfather’s workshop. This is where he started to design his dream machine.
    50. 50. Covent Garden - early 20th century
    51. 51. Delivery by Horse & Cart
    52. 52. George Cashmore and his handcart deliveringbread for the family business in the early 1900’s
    53. 53. Mr Gascoyne outside his shop in the High Street
    54. 54. Fish Shop – Tavistock Street, 1938
    55. 55. Grandad’sprize-winning onions ~1910Grown on St Mary’s Allotments
    56. 56. Heart ofEngland Oak, marking the centre of England.
    57. 57. The War Effort War Weapons Week – early 1940’s
    58. 58. This slideshow was made by the LEAPgroup with a grant from Awards for All.Our special thanks go to the late BillGibbons for giving us permission to usemany of his pictures.

    ×