Leamington History          GroupSPOTLIGHT       ONLeamington’s    first  church                 1
This is the Domesday entry for Lamintone which reads:-EARL ROGER holds Lamintone of the king. There are 2 hides. There is ...
• In 1166 the manor of Lemyngton with the church and the mill   was given to the Priors of Kenilworth by Godfrey de Clinto...
• The names of the householders who lived in Lemynton Priors   when the Lay Subsidy was collected by Edward III in 1332   ...
Leamington History                       Group                                      • This is a list of the               ...
• 1564 Queen Elizabeth granted the manor to Ambrose Dudley(left)   King James 1 bestowed it on Sir Fulke Greville in 1605 ...
THE EARLY CHURCHA watercolour probably circa 1810 shows a clock and a fixed sundialon the bell tower and Ben Satchwell’s t...
Engraving circa 1820 showing old half-timbered cottagesand shops near the West end of the church                          ...
• Early illustrations of the cottages round the old church• The first stone bridge was built in 1807 and modified in 1840 ...
• Revd Robert Downes became Vicar in 1823 and began a series   of five enlargements of the old church over the sixteen yea...
• James Bissett museum & gallery owner laid the foundation stone   for the 1816 enlargement- he died in 1832 and his memor...
old crayon & charcoal drawing found in achest of drawers in the church shows a       Leamington Historyview from the north...
The spire was erected 1825 and the church was enlarged onto part ofthe churchyard on the North side - vaults were made und...
• View of the vaults constructed by Revd Robert Downes in 1825                                                            ...
• Many of the incised tablets on the vaults are badly eroded• The cast iron gates were to prevent body snatchers removing ...
• Two artefacts from the old village church - a holy water stoup   (left) and 17th century stone tablet recording a donati...
• Revd John Craig exchanged livings with Revd Robert Downes   and arrived in Leamington in 1839• It was his idea and his m...
JOHN CRAIG’S                   VISION FOR THE NEW                                ALL SAINTSJoin us again for part II of th...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Leamington's First Church

236

Published on

Presentation about Leamington's first church by Alan Griffin, Chair of Leamington History Group.

Published in: Education
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
236
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
1
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
0
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Leamington's First Church

  1. 1. Leamington History GroupSPOTLIGHT ONLeamington’s first church 1
  2. 2. This is the Domesday entry for Lamintone which reads:-EARL ROGER holds Lamintone of the king. There are 2 hides. There is landfor 8 ploughs. In demesne are 2 [ploughs], and 3 slaves; and 5 villans with apriest and 3 bordars have 4 ploughs. There are 2 mills rendering 24s., and 26acres of meadow. It was worth 50s.; and afterwards 25s.; now 4ls. Wulfwineheld it freely TRE. The same earl holds in FRANKTON....... 2
  3. 3. • In 1166 the manor of Lemyngton with the church and the mill was given to the Priors of Kenilworth by Godfrey de Clinton 3
  4. 4. • The names of the householders who lived in Lemynton Priors when the Lay Subsidy was collected by Edward III in 1332 The Lay Subsidy Roll of 1332 Lemynton Prior (Hundred of Knightlow) s. d. Richard Knappe 1 10 Juliana Erneys 2 3 Maud Kyng 1 2 Juliana le Fremon 6 0 Joh Newemon 1 9 Maud Prat 3 0 Roger de Craft 4 0 Simon son of the reeve 3 9 Henry le Carpenter 2 5 Agnes Baroun 2 2 Henry Austyn 1 7 Peter le Warde 2 4 Richard de Hulle 4 7 Peter le Ryche 2 0 Simon Prat 1 6 Robert de Podemor 1 6 Total 41s 10d 4
  5. 5. Leamington History Group • This is a list of the Vicars of Lemynton compiled from the Registers of the Bishops of Worcester. 1349 was the year of the Black Death.Your Text Here5
  6. 6. • 1564 Queen Elizabeth granted the manor to Ambrose Dudley(left) King James 1 bestowed it on Sir Fulke Greville in 1605 6
  7. 7. THE EARLY CHURCHA watercolour probably circa 1810 shows a clock and a fixed sundialon the bell tower and Ben Satchwell’s tomb enclosed by railings 7
  8. 8. Engraving circa 1820 showing old half-timbered cottagesand shops near the West end of the church 8
  9. 9. • Early illustrations of the cottages round the old church• The first stone bridge was built in 1807 and modified in 1840 9
  10. 10. • Revd Robert Downes became Vicar in 1823 and began a series of five enlargements of the old church over the sixteen years of his incumbency 10
  11. 11. • James Bissett museum & gallery owner laid the foundation stone for the 1816 enlargement- he died in 1832 and his memorial stone has been moved at least three times since his death 11
  12. 12. old crayon & charcoal drawing found in achest of drawers in the church shows a Leamington Historyview from the north bank of the river Leam Group12
  13. 13. The spire was erected 1825 and the church was enlarged onto part ofthe churchyard on the North side - vaults were made under the Northtransept to compensate for loss of burial space 13
  14. 14. • View of the vaults constructed by Revd Robert Downes in 1825 14
  15. 15. • Many of the incised tablets on the vaults are badly eroded• The cast iron gates were to prevent body snatchers removing corpses to sell to medical schools for dissection 15
  16. 16. • Two artefacts from the old village church - a holy water stoup (left) and 17th century stone tablet recording a donation of 6s 8d by R Yardly in 1626 (now positioned over the door up to the bell chamber) 16
  17. 17. • Revd John Craig exchanged livings with Revd Robert Downes and arrived in Leamington in 1839• It was his idea and his money that raised the present building 17
  18. 18. JOHN CRAIG’S VISION FOR THE NEW ALL SAINTSJoin us again for part II of the story of the parish church © 18 Leamington History Group

×