2. Introduction It’s about how we develop good ideas and insights into what users want. Building a useful theory of human user of information and communication techonology (ICT) is not easy.
3. Aims <ul><li>Design systems that are compatible with their users </li></ul><ul><li>Evaluate existing systems and their variants </li></ul><ul><li>Make quantitative predictions about their use </li></ul>
4. It will help us make sense of how humans behave, particularly when using interactive systems. The idea of a psychological theory is that it explains and predicts human behavior. A model is simply a way of presenting such a theory so that we can make useful predictions about human behavior and thinking. Given a model of how a computer system behaves, the required tasks and how the system’s users behave, we should be able to predict the behavior of the whole interactive system.
5. PSYCHOLOGICAL THEORY allow us to design an interactive system to be more usable without having to (expensively) test if directly on large number of users.
6. Background Psychology <ul><li>FREUD AND PSYCHOANALYSIS </li></ul><ul><li>BEHAVIOURISM </li></ul><ul><li>NEUROPSYCHOLOGY </li></ul>
7. Cognitive Psychology Combined with computing science and neuroscience, this overall approach to understanding human performance and related issues is now called cognitive science. It is directed to the solution of real-world problems such as the design of interactive systems and website.
8. PERCEPTION RESPONSE COGNITIVE PROCESSING SHORT-TERM MEMORY LONG TERM MEMORY MODEL HUMAN PROCESSOR