- target 15 different classes: first, third and 4th years - 2 graduate classes
- common sense fo the term - systematic - teacher - especially in a school
- service or teaching oriented (examine accountabilities)? -questionnaire and interview, random sample , 362 respondents, 20 interviews - 31.6% exchange with librarians as a learning experience - our study asks what does teaching mean (open ended)
surveyed 48 undergraduate students explored reasons why librarians choose the profession, educational qualifications, etc 9 of 45 respondents referred to a teaching or training function of librarians like Hernan and pastine, explored many issues we focus on one!
- to contribute to the literature on student perceptions of librarians and libraries - hernon and fagan - what do students think of us??? - what does it mean to teach? librarian job postings state that we must teach, need some instruction experience, we are evaluated e.g. faculty status and tenure - reflecting in light of decades of discussion about the teaching role of librarians and now librarians teaching info lit
YES! 1. help - helpful with, succeed 2. knowledgeable 3. subject - how to, library, research 4. educational institution 5. comparison with teachers and similar to or more than NO! 1. just/only.... shelve books, deal with books, book keepers 2. lack of qualifications - phd (but profs don't) 3. classroom, formalized education - grade, longer term 4. do not teach a subject - generalists
- race, ethnicity, gender, age, academic discipline, library use - librarian v. student, we were recognizable - administered after class as too biased ? maybe at ref desk, but less response - not representative , administered during the day, not evening - gave a quick incentive , not sincere response - but always a risk - electronic survey vs. paper survey and being more honest and legibility - not a survey. Surveys are tested for validity . Our study was exploratory.
Are Librarians Really Teachers? Reflections and Analysis Karen Okamoto City University of New York John Jay College [email_address] Mark Aaron Polger City University of New York College of Staten Island [email_address]