3. Ireland• Ireland is divided into 4 provinces: – Leinster – Munster – Ulster – Connacht• 32 counties in total.• 6 make up Northern Ireland.• Population is 3.5 million.
4. Dublin• Dublin is the capital.• It has a population of over 1 million. 1/3 of the total population.
5. The Irish flag Our national flag consists of:Green Gold White
6. Symbols of Ireland• The harp is the official symbol of Ireland. • The shamrock is also another recognised symbol
7. Famous Places in Ireland Giants Causeway • Located in Antrim Northern Ireland. • Legend has it that the giant Fionn Mac Cumhaill built the causeway to walk to Scotland.
8. New grange• Found in county Meath.• It is an ancient burial ground.• The oldest surviving building in the world.• The sun shines through in on the shortest day of the year.
9. Glendalough • Found in Co. Wicklow. • This monastery was founded in the 6th century by Saint Kevin. • Glendalough is very popular place for hill walking.
10. Clonmacnoise• Another monastery found in Co. Offaly.• It is located on the River Shannon.• Founded by Saint Ciarán in 545.
11. Language• Ireland has 2 official languages: English- spoken throughout Ireland. Irish (Gaelic)- spoken only in the West of Ireland in the Gaeltacht areas.
12. Weather • Irish weather is mostly cold. • In summer it gets no hotter than 22 degrees. • It also rains a lot which gives Ireland the name of being green. It is also known as the Emerald Isle.
13. Kilkenny• Kilkenny is the County in which I live.• Kilkenny is the smallest city in Ireland• It has a population of approximately 22 thousand.• The castle in Kilkenny is called Kilkenny Castle.
14. Gowran • This is the village I live in. • It is really small with only roughly 600 inhabitants. • Gowran is know for its beautiful racecourse where the horses race. • Another site in Gowran is Saint Mary’s old church. • There are 2 shops and 3 pubs in the village of Gowran.