What is Bonfire Night?
• Every year on the 5th November in
England, we celebrate Bonfire Night.
• This is because on the 5th November
1605, a man called Guy Fawkes and
his friends decided to try to blow up the
English government and the King,
Blow up- volar
WHY did he want to kill the king?
• Guy Fawkes was a Catholic, but King James I
was a Protestant.
• Guy Fawkes wanted England to be Catholic,
so he wanted to kill the King.
• So, he tried to blow up the government using
• People discovered
Guy Fawkes, his men
and the gunpowder
before he could blew
up the government.
• He was put in prison.
• He and his men were
killed and their heads
were put on sticks as
a warning to other
Why do we remember this?
• Because of a law passed in 1606 called the “Law
of Thanksgiving”, we have to remember what
Guy Fawkes tried to do on the 5th of November
What happens now?
• Every 5th November in
England we have a
big party and
remember what Guy
• We build a huge
bonfire, and we
make a model of Guy
Fawkes, then burn it