When these warnings pop-up: Do NOT click CANCEL. Do NOT click the red X. What to do: ctrl + alt + del –> task manager--> end now. ORAlt + F4Open your Anti-virus separately. Go to Start-->All Programs-->Open Your Anti-virus-->Run Full Scan.If the problem persists. Disconnect from the Internet.
http://www.wikihow.com/Know-What-Not-to-DownloadDon't download it from a un-safe downloading site; Such as MediaFire (some files are maybe safe at this website), or MegaUpload (A downloading site came from Hong Kong), Instead! buy the game. The cheaper price method is safer, just go get it from Amazon.com or eBay since you can buy them there at a good price. Plus you'll get to enjoy it's multiplayer features (if any) to its fullest.
Transcript of "B:/software_smart"
Computer Download Survival Guide Maribeth Turner Automation Assistant Central Kansas Library System
Who is the Creator of the Site?Is it sponsored by a company you know? (Yahoo!, MSN, Adobe, Microsoft)Does the site look professional? Are there spelling mistakes or grammatical errors?What is the site asking of you?
• Before downloading a program see what others say CNET.com Majorgeeks.com Microsoft Forums
Viruses, Worms, Trojan Horses, Spyware, Adware,Crimeware and Rootkits are Considered Malware.
• Software sold to consumers by scaring them with warnings like: “virus infected your computer!”• convinces a user that a virus has infected his computer• Usually the virus is fictional and the software is non-functional or malware.• According to the Anti-Phishing Working Group, the number of scareware packages in circulation rose from 2,850 to 9,287 in the second half of 2008.• In the first half of 2009, the APWG identified a 583% increase in scareware programs.
What is Spyware?-Harmful software that gathers personalinformation from a users computerWhat’s the Threat? it collects personal information and searchinghabits sends that information to another userSpyware can also change user settings on the computer or Internetbrowser Causing slower Internet Searches and slower computer responses.
The Good Anti-Spyware: Spybot Search and Destroy The Bad Anti-Spyware:Search and Destroy
Viruses spread to computers through the Internet or Inter OfficeNetworkViruses can slow down a computer or Replicate and take up memory
The Good Anti-Viruses: AVG, AVAST!, Norton/Symantec, Microsoft Security Essentials The Bad Anti-Virus: XP Anti-virus 2008 ORInternet Antivirus 2011
• Sites like BitTorrent, The Pirate Bay, Utorrent etc.• files are actually bootlegged, pirated, and copyright violation• Files are downloaded from several computers • Putting your computers at higher risk for malware Seed Computer-- 73% Seed Seed Computer-- Computer-- 23% 4% Home Computer
File sharing programs like Napster, Kazaa, or FrostWire• illegal files that have been bootlegged, Pirated, or violate copyright• Be careful! • files may contain viruses (camouflage viruses, etc.) • Or files that make you computer vulnerable to hackers.
• Those little bars along the top of your browser window.• Can get Installed during JAVA, Adobe, etc Updates.• Uncheck the box• toolbars can be used to track your searching history.
Instead of opening the downloaded file right away: SCAN THE FILE FIRST! • Right-Click the file in the download file • Go to “Scan File” with and Choose your Anti-Virus or Malwarebytes • It will scan for viruses. • If it has a virus in it, remove it! • If it’s safe, can click the file and install or open it.
Limewire, FrostWire, Vuze, uTorrent• allows user to illegally download Copyrighted material• makes the computer more susceptible to Malware.iWon—• free casual game site with a chance to win cash and prizes through activities or playing online games.• the website also puts Malware like tracking cookies on the user’s computer.My Way Search & My Web Search—• Earlier versions of the program were classified as adware• later versions were found to not function like malicious programs• However, it is a program that is very difficult to remove and makes your computer more vulnerable.
Games: MSN ZONE games, Yahoo! Games, Kings.com, MoreAdd-ons for Microsoft, Internet Explorer, Firefox
un-safe downloading sites• MediaFire• MegaUpload (A downloading site came from Hong Kong),• Instead buy the game. • The cheaper price method is safer, from Amazon.com or eBay • Plus youll get to enjoy its multiplayer features (if any) to its fullest.
Software that cleans up Computers—removing hidden and temporary Files.
Best Windows Maintenance Tools: Ccleaner & Auslogics Disk Defrag Bad Windows Maintenance Tools:Spyware Cleaner & Registry Cleaner XP
These steps won’t prevent all malware, but now you can download with confidence!
Maribeth Turner Automation AssistantCentral Kansas Library System email@example.com www.ckls.org
1. Kansas Attorney General Consumer Beware: http://www.ksag.org/page/consumer-corner- beware-of-phishing-email-scams2. How to Keep Your Computer Safe, Clean, and Backed Up in 2011. Adam Dachis. http://lifehacker.com/#!5720731/resolved-keep-your-computer-safe-clean-and-backed-up- in-20113. How to Know When It is Safe to Download Something http://www.wikihow.com/Know- when-It-Is-Safe-to-Download-Something4. Microsoft.com:http://www.microsoft.com/protect/fraud/phishing/symptoms.aspx5. http://majorgeeks.com/6. Windows Maintenance Tips: The Good, The Bad and The Useless. Kevin Purdy & Jason Fitzpatric. http://lifehacker.com/#!5520447/windows-maintenance-tips-the-good-bad-and- useless7. http://www.wisegeek.com/do-exe-files-harm-my-computer.htm8. http://www.wikihow.com/Know-What-Not-to-Download
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.