Stevenson’s Life in
Natalie Floyd and Marianne Kotacka
Facts about Samoa
• Located in the South Paciﬁc Ocean, ~
halfway between Hawaii and New Zealand
• 99% of land mass is from two main
islands: Savai’i and Upolu
• Upolu is home to 75% of Samoan
Where and When?
• RLS ﬁrst came to Samoa in December
• Arrived in Apia, the capital of Samoa.
• Stayed for 6 weeks before leaving for
• Eventually returned to Samoa in 1890
after falling ill in Australia.
Vailima, part 1
• Vailima was the estate that RLS had
built upon his return to Apia.
• Vailima means “ﬁve creeks.”
• The original house was home to ﬁve
whites (including Stevenson and his
family) and twelve Samoans.