1. Stopping the Tide of Suicide WELCOME By : Maria Keane
2. SUICIDE STATISTICSWARNING SIGNSRISK FACTORSMYTHS & FACTS OF SUICIDESUICIDAL THOUGHTSSUICIDAL TRIGGERSSUICIDE PREVENTION IN SCHOOLS
3. SUICIDE STATISTICS Suicide Statistics Number Suicides Per Year In Ireland600 527 486500 451 444 457 442 460 405 429400300200100 0 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 Ref: C.S.O.
4. SUICIDE STATISTICS Suicide Statistics Male Vs Female Suicides in ROI 2009600 527500 422400300200 105100 0 Overall Male Female Ref: C.S.O.
5. Suicide Statistics Male Vs Female Suicides 2002-2007 per 100,000 population by 5Yr age group. 40 35 30Number of People 25 Male 20 Female 15 10 5 0 10-14 15-19 20-24 25-29 30-34 35-39 40-44 45-49 50-54 55-59 60-64 65-69 70-74 75-79 80-84 85+ Ref: C.S.O.
7. Warning Signs - General Talking about suicide Drug & Alcohol abuse
8. Warning Signs - School Environment Sudden decline in gradesStudent Violence /police involvement Anger, rage, anxiety Significant weight loss or gain Suicidal thoughtsLoss of interest in activitiesWithdrawal fromfriends & family Worthlessness Repeated absence Lack of concentration Misconduct Over reaction to criticism
9. Risk Factors Which Predispose Teens to Suicide Family Previous history of Suicidal Suicide Loss of Behaviour Parent High Low self Social Stress esteem Isolation History of abuseTraumatic Psychiatricchildhood disorderexperience
10. Myths & Facts of SuicideMyth - “If someone is going to kill themselves there is nothing you can do about it” Myth - “People who are suicidal are fully intent on dying”
11. Myths & Facts of SuicideMyth - “She killed herself because she was worried about her exam results” Fact : Myth - “Talking about Suicide encourages it”Fact :
12. Myth & Facts of SuicideMyth – “The suicidal person never mentions that theyare thinking of committing suicide”Myth – “Once a person is suicidal, they are suicidalforever” Fact
13. SUICIDAL THOUGHTS “I can’t think straight anymore”“I wish I “Every one willwas dead” be better off without me”“I can’t “ I can’t dotake it anythinganymore” right” “No one can help me now” “All my problems will end “I won’t be needing soon” these things anymore”
14. Suicide Triggers Loss Poor grades Any form of abuse Fight with loved one Fear of Punishment Unwanted Pregnancy Bullying and Victimisation Concerns about Sexuality Death of a loved one (especially to suicide)
15. General Prevention at School1) Foster a positive mental health approach.2) Strengthen the mental health of School Teachers & Staff.3) Strengthen students’ self-esteem.4) Introduce training in life skills.5) Convey knowledge to peers on how to be supportive and seek adult help if necessary.6) Promote the stability and continuity of students schooling.
16. General Prevention at School7) Prevent Bullying and violence in schools & run the Cool School Programme 8) Promote emotional expression – to confide in teachers, parents etc. 9) Provide support & information about care services. Guest Speakers.10) Trustful communications.11) Referral of distressed / suicidal students
17. WHAT TO DO - IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW IS IN SUICIDAL CRISISLISTEN CAREFULLY AND EMPATHISECONNECT WITH THE PERSONTAKE THE PERSON SERIOUSLYCALMLY ASK ABOUT SUICIDE e.g. “I am worried about you. Are you thinking of Suicide?” “Are you feeling suicidal?”ASK THEM TO MAKE A “ SAFE PLAN” CONTRACT WITH YOU and GET HELPOFFER SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGE HOPE.
18. WHAT TO DO - IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW IS IN SUICIDAL CRISISRing a Helpline;1Life Suicide Prevention Helpline - Free phone 1-800-24-7-100Aware - Helpline – 1890 303 302Samaritans- Helpline – 1850 609 090Console – Helpline 1800 201 890Teen-line Ireland - Free phone 1800 833 634Pieta House – Centre for Prevention of Self harm and Suicide (01)601000SOS ( Suicide or Survive) - 0402 41487
19. THANK YOU THE END
20. This work is licensed under the CreativeCommons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 UK:England & Wales License. To view a copy ofthis license, visithttp://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/uk/ or send a letter to CreativeCommons, 444 Castro Street, Suite900, Mountain View,