1. Side effects of becoming a vegetarianby Benna Crawford, Demand Media Student: Maria Jose Yañez
2. Vegetarian diet• A vegetarian diet is a healthy choice if you pay attention to nutritional requirements and follow a balanced eating plan• Vegetarian food pyramid recommended is: six servings of grains five servings of nuts beans, legumes and other protein foods four servings of vegetables, two of fruit and two of unsaturated fats (salmon, avocado)
3. For vegans, the inattention to dietary needs can create side effects such • Vitamin B12 Deficiency• Iron Deficiency• Zinc deficiency• Calcium and bone loss
4. Vitamin B12 Deficiency • Symptoms anemia, weakness, poor balance and tingling in the arms and legs.
5. Iron deficiency• Available in foods many vegetarians do not consume: red meats, poultry and fish. • Symptoms: exhaustion, weakness, slow cognitive development, chills and increased susceptibility to infection WOMEN can give birth to premature or low birth weight infantsHow to increase iron absorption? Taking vitamin C or consuming citrus with plant- based iron sources.
6. Zinc deficiency• Zinc helps you to smell and taste. Its also important for the immune system -- zinc helps wounds heal**, is a factor in cell division.• Zinc is found in high protein foods like meats and dark meat poultry, so vegans and many vegetarians can develop a zinc deficiency.• Symptoms : poor appetite, frequent infections, hair loss.• One good way for vegetarians to consume zinc is by eating legumes, peanuts and peanut butter, although zinc from animal protein is more readily absorbed by the body. process of restoring cellular structures and tissue layers.
7. Calcium and bone loss• Strong bones need calcium and one of the best ways to get it is from dairy products. If milk, yogurt and butter arent part of your diet, look for cereals, breads and juices that have added calcium, fortified tofu, kale, broccoli and Chinese cabbage.• Calcium shortages can lead to thinning bone density and osteoporosis, dental problems and other medical conditions. Calcium helps blood to circulate through the body, muscles to move, nerves to transmit messages from the brain, and it releases hormones and enzymes. • Studies points out that calcium supplements can interfere with some medications so you should check with your health care provider before adding supplements to any diet.
8. Questions• What are some of the side effects of having a vegetarian diet?Vitamin B12 Deficiency-Iron Deficiency-Zinc deficiency-Calcium and bone loss• Which of those do you think is the worst side effect? Why?• What would you recommend to eat to your vegetarian friend if he has iron deficiency?Taking vitamin C or consuming citrus with plant-basediron sources (dried apricots, sunflower seeds, chocolate)• Name two problems that calcium shortages could produceOsteoporosis , dental problems