2. What is ICT?ICT stands for Information andCommunications Technology. Itdeals with all types of computersand communication equipment.
3. Types of ICTTelevisionComputersOverhead ProjectorRadioInternetVideo and data Projectors
4. Use of ICT in Education helps to improve the quality of education through: Motivation Enhancing Teaching Active Learning Collaborative Learning Creative Learning Integrative Learning Evaluation Learning
5. MOTIVATIONuse of multimedia that combinestext, sound and moving images Ex.interaction encourages students becomemore involved
6. ENHANCES TEACHINGExamples:simulations show real life situations that canbe difficult to visualise which can be usedfor Science subjectscommunication with natives can helplearning of a particular language
7. ACTIVE LEARNING•ICT-enhanced learning mobilizes tools forexamination, calculation and analysis ofinformation• Learners therefore learn as they doand, whenever appropriate, work on real-lifeproblems in-depth
8. COLLABORATIVE LEARNINGICT encourages cooperation and interactionbetween student and teacher, student andstudentStudents work in groups and support eachother
9. CREATIVE LEARNINGICT encourages students to find solutionsto problems ICT-supported learning promotes themanipulation of existing information and thecreation of real-world products rather thanthe regurgitation of received information.
10. INTEGRATIVE LEARNINGICT promotes an integrative approach toteaching and learningICT integrates theory & practice
11. EVALUATIVE LEARNINGICT allows learners to explore anddiscoverICT allows for different ways of learning
12. Concerns Teachers have aboutthe use of TechnologyMaintenanceInequalitiesNeed for trainingInformation OverloadPace of Change and StressPlagiarismTeachers Time
13. CHALLENGES Costs ICT in education involves large sums of money to buyequipment, keep it working and train staff Equity of Access how can we make sure that all students have access to ICT - rich and poor, people with special needs Teacher Training very important for all teachers to have adequate training
14. THE KEY to the effective use of ICT in education is not new technology itself,but first understanding how and whether it can enhance people’s learning.