You just might be an alcoholic if…………
1. You cannot stop drinking when you intend to…
2. You cannot remember a period of time after drinking (what you may have said or done)………
3. Family members refer to your “drinking behaviors” often and negatively so…..
4. You feel compelled to drink; you cannot say “no”…..
5. Despite negative things that happen while drinking (arrests for drinking-related behaviors, trips,
falls, family arguments, money-related problems, car crashes), you continue to drink…
6. You have considered attending a meeting of Alcoholic Anonymous….
7. You have a “drinking budget” …..
8. There’s rarely a time when either beer, wine or other liquor is not readily available (kept
stocked) in your home….
9. Most activities you attend include the use of alcohol (you are secretly disappointed and/or may
make excuses for not attending non-alcoholic functions)…..
10. Most of your friends drink heavily or alcoholically…..
11. If Catholic, you give up alcohol for Lent…..(come on, confess)!
12. You have been through chemical dependency treatment and still drink…….
13. You have quit a job rather than get tested for smelling like booze at work….
14. You then apply for jobs at companies where you know they do not test for drugs and alcohol…..
15. Your kids confront you about your drinking behaviors (doesn’t matter what age they are)….
16. You sneak booze into work or at functions where you know they will not sell it or provide it….
17. You drink at work…..
18. You change over to prescription drugs at work because the booze is harder to conceal…..
19. Your spouse is uncomfortable with your friends and says it’s because of the group’s drinking
What other examples can you add to the list? List below and share!
You just might be an alcoholic if………………(creativityallowed):
By Margie Roop, LPCC-S; CEAP: SAP, Regional Director, Ohio
Call LifeServices EAP for help! 1-800-822-4847