1. Red branch media
Using Twitter as a Tool
For Corporate Recrui.ng
2. Red branch media
It ma&ers because:
‐ it grew 131% last month; over 700% last year
‐ oﬀers real ?me search and monitoring
‐ free and easy distribu?on method
‐ people are paying a&en?on
‐Oprah just tweeted so everyone in the pool is
about to get wet
3. Red branch media
• Over the last 6 months
• Total users:
4. Red branch media
Not the usual Social Media
• Growth is highest in the 45‐54 age group
• Least likely to visit? 12‐24 age groups
5. Red branch media
Why it matters for corporate
• At least a por?on of your target market is on
• Such a powerful tool has worked for Sodexo,
Zappos, RSM, Best Buy and Ernst & Young
• Twi&er is where people are already engaged and
having fun. Can you say the same for job boards?
• Virtual water cooler. Where best to learn about
• Twi&er can be used to quickly get out the latest
news and really useful informa?on.
6. Red branch media
Use Twitter for:
• Monitoring your company brand
• Distribu?ng news
• Pos?ng jobs
• Answering ques?ons
• Doing market research
• Interac?ng with poten?al candidates
• Dis?nguishing your loca?on
7. Red branch media
Monitoring Your Company
• Before you jump into the conversa?on do a
li&le research about your company.
• Tweetbeep.com, TweetScan.com and
• Use a third party client like TweetDeck
Moni&er, or Twhirl to monitor keywords
related to your industry
• This helps crab your message
8. Red branch media
• Use TweetLater and
RSS feeds to tweet
new jobs and
9. Red branch media
• Use tools like tweetmyjobs and
twithire to post jobs
• Build a rela?onship with
followers. Then when you have a
conﬁrmed posi?on, you can tweet
• Follow the professional
associa?ons within your industry.
• Follow job boards and recruiters
in your industry
10. Red branch media
• When a ques?on comes up in
your industry that you can
answer, answer it!
• Follow the person who asked
the ques?on, as well as others
• Creates goodwill and
community around a group who
share knowledge freely.
11. Red branch media
Do Market Research
• Wondering what beneﬁts are
the most a&rac?ve to
engineers between 40‐55?
Simply ask your twi&er
• Thinking of launching a new
consumer program? Ask the
target market area ﬁrst.
• Include your candidate base
and future customers in the
12. Red branch media
Interacting with potential
• If you just post jobs or use
Twi&er as a PR mouthpiece,
your followers will never
increase and you will lose the
ones you have
• Focus on real interac?on. Say
things that are funny, real and
useful but s?ll professional
13. Red branch media
Distinguish your location
• This is especially useful if you are part of a large chain.
• Lefng the local community know you are there is
• Think ac?ve, dynamic, always‐on Chamber of
• Use tools like Twi&erholic, Twellow and WeFollow to
establish yourself in your loca?on
14. Red branch media
Where do they go after Twitter?
• 17.6% of Twi&er’s downstream traﬃc goes to
• 10% of goes to News and Media websites
• 14.6% goes to social networks
• 6.6% to blogs
• 4.5% to online retailers
15. Red branch media
• Direct your followers to things you want
them to see
– Beneﬁts Pages
– New Posi?ons
– Job Fairs
– Streamlined Applica?ons
– Even New Products!
16. Red branch media
• Go to Twi&er.com
• Pick a “handle” name
– (@marenhogan) personal
– (@redbranch) professional
– Make it short
– Easy to remember
17. Red branch media
• If you are twee?ng on behalf of your company,
have your logo in the background on the twi&er
page. Use Twitbacks for an easy, a&rac?ve and
free background, you can also include other sites,
like LinkedIn, Facebook and Google Proﬁle
• Use your face for your picture.
• Include a site link
• Fill out your proﬁle completely. Use keywords
that will a&ract candidates in a HUMAN way.
18. Red branch media
19. Red branch media
Twitter Third Party Clients
• There are several third party clients for
Twi&er. The most popular are:
– Use these tools to access Twi&er from your
desktop or smartphone.
20. Red branch media
21. Red branch media
• Use wefollow.com or Mr Tweet (in beta) to ﬁnd
people to follow.
• If you are using TweetDeck or Twhirl, you can
search keywords to ﬁnd people you should keep
an eye on.
• Follow people that other follow in your industry.
• Seek out media contacts in your industry,
22. Red branch media
• Every so oben, check your followers and follow
• Make sure you let them know who you are every
once in a while. Not every twi&er user uses the
web applica?on, which allows them to see your
proﬁle and twi&er bio page.
• Do not use auto DMs (direct messages). No one
• You can choose to follow everyone who follows
you at SocialToo.com
23. Red branch media
• Use your page to graphically display life at
your company or division.
• Pictures or drawings are great
• Important websites
• Even screenshots of your beneﬁts page.
• Be crea?ve
• Enlist your marke?ng department
24. Red branch media
Beyond Using Twitter
• So what’s the next step?
• Searching Twi&er
• Using deep sourcing techniques within real‐
?me search to ﬁnd tough candidates
• First? Develop the personality for yourself
and your company