It’s about the discoverability of a brands content in search and social. It’s about understand from with channel that content was consumed, what actions were taken, how the content was engaged and how the content impacts the over all web presence. And if it wasn’t complicated enough, we need to understand the discoverability of content across different devices. How that discoverability differs and why? And how we do continually optimize for the differences it.
We’re seeing now a lot of shifting of thoughts from strong agencies around the concept of centralizing SEO strategies on Content Marketing, but I don’t see enough of a focus on the mobile opportunity of SEO in SEO Contract and SEO delivery and execution.
I think we’re lazy and impatient on our mobile devices. We want everything now. We want to click on things, not type. So if I’m walking down the road in Barrie ontario with my mobile device and I start my search for barrie townhomes and the Related Searches come up… I’m more likely to forgo my intended search in favour of a suggested search.As SEOs we need to pay attention to this behaviour and take the opportunity to extend our keyword index. Understand the opportunities that exist to optimize the web presence for these related keywords. We need to know if the web presence is currently being discovered now for these keywords and if any of them are highly converting already.
And further to to that… as it relates to your content marketing strategy… I think you can win bigger over the long run if a piece of content in your content marketing strategy is not just optimized for a keyword, but a group of similar keywords… what we call at gShift, a keyword kluster. Cover your bases better if your keyword strategy is focused on like-groups or Klusters. Covering more of those related keywords that searchers are likely to select.
Which brings us to the seo metric… keyword position data.
1. MOBILE ORGANIC SEARCH DATA
FOR OPTIMIZING & REPORTING
Are your SEO strategies and SEO conversations mobile ready?
2. NICE TO MEET YOU…
• Cofounder & CEO at gShift
• SEO: writing and speaking about,
building technology for, and leading
teams that perform since 15 years
• Ontario Chair of SEMPO Canada
• SEO software technology for SEO
Agencies & In-House teams
• Founded in 2009
• “Changing the way people think
about and perform organic search.”
• Thousands and thousands of web
3. I WANT TO HELP YOU…
 Discover opportunities to optimize, the mobile aspect of a
web presence, for organic search, through data.
 Look at three SEO data points from a mobile perspective:
1. Keyword Research
2. Search Position by Device
3. Goals & Conversions
 Ensure your SEO strategies and conversations are mobile-
4. WHY DO WE DO SEO?
• No guarantee anything
• Unknown timeframe.
• Uncontrollable factors.
• Google’s ever-
• Difficult to prove ROI.
So why do we do SEO?
5. 1 Billion
Google Searches Every Single Day!
6. EVERYONE LOOKS AT THE ORGANIC SIDE OF SEARCH
7. 94% of Searchers Click on the Organic Side of Search?
8. IT’S ABOUT UNDERSTANDING BEHAVIOR & DEVICE
Your Web Presence
9. Definitions of Organic Search
“The long-term discoverability of a brand in search
and social, regardless of device or algorithm change.”
“The discoverability of a brand’s web presence asset
by the prospect, on any device, at any point in their
“The on-going process of discovering and uncovering
highly converting unbranded keywords that are
driving organic search traffic and conversions.”
10. % Share of Organic Search Visits
11. At SES San Fran last week, Matt Cutts said…
“Mobile is probably growing faster than
anyone in the room expects. Mobile traffic to
Google will surpass desktop traffic to Google
pretty soon – not in weeks or a few months…
12. % Share of Organic Search Visits
• 6,000 web presences
• Mobile Organic Search Traffic from August 2013
• What is the average percentage of organic visits to 6,000 web presences
from mobile devices?
14. MOBILE-READY SEO STRATEGY
1. Does search behviour differ on mobile compared to desktop?
1. Are the Conversions different and why?
1. How do you ensure your SEO Strategies are designed or being
executed to take 24%+ of your audience into account?
1. How do you report on it?
15. THREE MOBILE SEO DATA POINTS
2.Keyword Position Data by Device
3.Goals & Conversions
16. #1. KEYWORD RESEARCH
17. KEYWORD RESEARCH
1. Shorter Tail Searches
2. We’re Lazy and Impatient on Devices
3. Keyword KlustersTM
4. Factor the Keyword Kluster in to Content
18. WE’RE LAZY ON MOBILE DEVICES
19. KEYWORD KLUSTERSTM
20. #2. KEYWORD POSITION DATA BY DEVICE
21. KEYWORD POSITIONS BY DEVICE
22. #3. GOALS & CONVERSIONS
23. GOALS & CONVERSIONS
Don’t even start doing SEO until GA Conversions are set up.
24. ONE MORE TEENY TIP…
“I wouldn’t be surprised if
we soon take mobile page
speed into account for SEO.”
- Matt Cutts.
25. THANK YOU!
Join the discussion at SEMPO Canada on LinkedIn