The Google+ Stats
1. Google+ has passed Twitter and is
now the second-biggest social
2. GlobalWebIndex says that 25
percent of worldwide Internet users
are now active on Google+ at least
once a month — second behind
Facebook (51 percent), but ahead
of YouTube and Twitter (both 21
3. 250 million members are active
(compared to 900 million for
Facebook and 140 million on
4. Google+ is 69% male.
Let’s Compare Google+ and Facebook
• Facebook is a place to connect with Family, Friends, and Business Acquaintances.
• Google+ is a place to connect with people who have similar interests.
• Facebook – the conversation is more casual.
• Google+ - the conversation is more about business, news, education, sports etc.
• Facebook – users expect to see personal posts, family photos.
• Google+ - users expect to see interesting content.
• Facebook – the conversation is more personal.
• Google+ - the conversation is intellectual.
Why Use Google+?
To Increase your SEO through Social Search!
updates and +1s are included
Other Reasons to Use Google+
1. Thanks to mobile search, you absolutely must have a Google Local Page for
2. Over 170 million consumers are already there – with more arriving every
3. It broadens your reach and opens you up to a new audience.
4. Everything you post on Google+ has a longer shelf life. It will be indexed by
Google search for a longer period of time.
5. It’s a simple, easy to use platform.
6. Do you blog? Google+ will likely send more traffic to your site than
Facebook or Twitter.
Decide on Your Google+ Goals
1. Enhance Your Social Search SEO. Most of your posting will be about Real
2. Network with and meet other users with similar interests and hobbies.
Most of your posting and engaging will be hobby/interest related.
3. Network with and meet other users in your geographic community. Most
of your posting and engaging will be geographic related.
How to Get Started!
1. Create a profile! If you use Gmail (or any other Google tool,
you already have one). Go to
http://www.google.com/+/learnmore/ and click on the
blue “Join Google” button.
2. Go here for a great tutorial on setting up your profile and
using Google +
3. Upload you Social Media Profile Pic – keep it consistent
across your sites for branding.
4. Add your work experience, a bio, contact information and
additional photos. Keep all this content public.
5. Add links to your website/blogs and to all your other social
6. Set up your Google Authorship. Google Authorship is how
Google authenticates and begins to “trust” you as a quality
source of content.
How to Get Started!
Photo courtesy of Social Media Examiner
Make sure to include Keywords in
your bio, and backlinks to all your
Prepare Your Circles!
Circles are Friends Lists - Organize the people you follow
1. Real Estate Industry Circle
2. “your City” Circle
3. Circles for any and all hobbies/interests you have
Who to Follow?
1. Active users who are relevant to your business.
2. Users who have the same interests and hobbies
as you do.
3. Users who live in the same area as you do.
Start Looking for People to Circle
It’s All About Search
1. Search for your industry
2. Search for your city
3. Search for people who have similar interests and hobbies
4. Upload a contact file
5. Circle the users that other people have circled – but only if they have the
audience you want
6. Follow other Circles! Simply Search the term “shared a circle with you.”
7. Use directories like http://www.plusclout.com/ and
Posting for SEO:
1. Post Publically
2. Use Hashtags (hashtags are clickable and searchable!)
3. Post your OWN content daily – drive traffic back to YOUR site.
4. Post interesting content
5. When sharing a link to an article or video, make sure the text update is
loaded with keywords.
Posting about your Interests/Hobbies
1. Post to the appropriate circles, communities or post publically
2. Use Hashtags
3. Again, Use keyword rich updates.
Posting about your city
1. Post publically
2. Use hashtags
3. Use Keywords for SEO
Create a Google Local Page for Your Business!
1. It’s basically a Business Listing – but is searchable from
1. Google Maps
2. Mobile (It Powers Androids new Voice Search Feature)
4. Basic Search indexed! (Use Keywords!!!)
2. It uses a 30-point Zagat scores/recommendations to allow users to
evaluate and select local businesses.
Give Google+ Events a Try!
1. Full integration with Google
2. Includes a real-time shared
Event Photo Stream – very
3. Automated reminders
4. Integrates with Google+
5. Different event types to
1. Non-Public on location
2. Google+ Hangout
3. Public event on location
4. Event on Air with Google+
Join some Communities, Or Create Your Own!
Communities are like Facebook Groups. Join communities that are relevant to
your business, or join communities that you have a specific interest in. For
example, you may want to join a community for your favorite NFL team. Or a
community for runners. It doesn’t always have to be about real estate. The key
is building relationships through networking that will lead to referrals.
Include Keywords and Relevant Links on Your About Page
When Visiting Other Sites, Use the +1 Button to Share!
Be sure to use the +1 button that can be found on many Web sites, including
www.Obeo.com/blog . When you see a post you like, click +1 and quickly and easily
share the post to your Google+ account.
Create Sparks/Interests to Follow
Use the Sparks feature to follow your interests and trending topics. Simply do a
search for your interest, then save the search. Now you’ll be able to easily track
these topics and re-post / share the most interesting posts.
Google+ Does NOT Replace Facebook
Please don’t stop using Facebook. In my opinion, it’s a different type of
networking and engagement. Keep Google+ entirely “Public” and use in to
boost your SEO and to meet like minded people.
Facebook is like a dinner party. Keep it fun and engaging, but let people
know you’re a Realtor!
Check Your Notifications Daily
On the upper right side of the screen you will find your notifications –
just look for a red notification number/alert. Here you will find new
followers, new comments, likes, shares, and who just followed you
Turn a Post into a Private Message
Create the message in the post field, then remove “public” and type in the
name of the person you want to message.
Try a Hangout!
Hangouts is very much like Skype, but better because
you can have up to 20 people, hanging out on video.
But you can also do it “on air” and have as many
people as you’d like listen in!
• Use it like you would a phone!
• Meet with clients w/o leaving your desk!
• Make a presentation to Relocation clients!
• Team meetings
• Create a hangout with the seller and the
• Family & Friends
Keep post topics Consistent for the best SEO!
You can show Google how to categorize your Google+ posts by keeping posts on
topic and using consistent keywords. When you consistently use the same
topics/interests and keywords, you tell Google that you are an authority on that
topic, and Google will promote your page in that searches on that topic.
With Google+, MORE is Better!
Unlike most social sites, where engagement reigns over number of followers, due
to Social Search, followers reign supreme!
1. Follow LOTS of Users
2. Put a badge/widget on your website & blog
3. Add a link to your email signature.
Try the Mobile App!
• Do a hangout!
• Organize/Create Events
• Big beautiful photos!
Post Often and Use Keyword Phrases for Social Search
Tag Other Users in Your Posts
Tagging is HUGE on Google+! Add a + sign to tag, and then select the right user
profile from a dropdown. When your mention other Google+ users and pages in
your posts, your updates will appear in search results. This gives your content
even greater reach and better SEO.
Photos Are HOT
Instead of just sharing a link, post a photo and add the link to
the photo description.
Make it Social – Pay it Forward
Like, Comment & Share on a Regular Basis!
Engage with other business professionals in an authentic way – read
what they post, make comments, and follow their links.
Twitter: @Obeo & @MarciJames
Obeo Training Center: www.Obeo.com/Training
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.