1. OBJECTIVES SCRIPTURAL TEXT EXPOSITION SUMMARY Human persons are willed by God; they areTAKE THE CHALLENGE imprinted with Gods image. Their dignity does not come from the work they do, but from the persons they are. REFLECTION Centessimus Annus, 11
2. LESSON OBJECTIVES:At the end of the lesson, the studentsare able to:1. define human dignity2. distinguish between having and being3. enumerate 4 elements that give a person dignity
3. Psalm 8You formed my inmost being;you knit me in my mothers womb.I praise you, so wonderfully you made me;wonderful are your works!My very self you knew;my bones were not hidden from you,When I was being made in secret,fashioned as in the depths of the earth.Your eyes foresaw my actions;in your book all are written down;my days were shaped, before one came to be.
4. Hmmm . . . Does someone who works as a prostitute lose his or her dignity?
5. What is the basis of DIGNITY?
6. HAVING vs. Being • Measured by what I have • Attitude is to accumulate or possess • Everything is based on utility • Believes in the gospel of secularism
7. Having vs. BEING• Characterized by who I am• Attitude is to develop one’s potentials• Everything is based on self- actualization• Professes the gospel of the Kingdom
8. The natural worth of a person as a creature formed in the image and likeness of GodThe dignity of the human person is inviolable and inalienable…
9. This is the basis for the equality of all,regardless of creed, race, sex, age, colorIt can never be taken away but mayeither be enhanced or diminished
10. The basic truth about the person• Created by God out of love• Created in the image and likeness of God• Gifted with freedom• Redeemed by Christ
11. Created out of love. . .• God’s love is his free choice, thus it is never merited• The person becomes valuable (“mahal”) because of this love
12. Image and likeness of God. . .• The person shares in God’s rationality and creativity• These traits are exercised when people perform their duty as co-creators and stewards
13. Gifted with freedom. . .• Person has capacity to determine his or her life• Exercise of freedom is perfected in self-actualization
14. Redeemed by Christ. . .• Jesus’ Incarnation united himself with each person (GS, 22)
15. Redeemed by Christ. . .• His Public Ministry showed God’s solidarity with his people “PAKIKIRAMAY” ng Diyos sa tao
16. Redeemed by Christ. . .• On the cross, Christ showed that Each person is worth saving He is one with us in our sufferings
17. Think critically:• Is respect something that you earn or demand from others?
18. The person is created in the image and likeness of God CAUSE: PURPOSE: To achieve one’s self-actualizationReferences
19. References:Illustrations by Kenneth CamaroOther images taken from:http://images.indymedia.org/imc/washingtondc/media/image/9/annihilation_of_human_dignity_by_german_fascists.jpghttp://www.dreamstime.com/geisha-tattoo-art-thumb9363030.jpghttp://www.iamfullyalive.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/FullyAliveDance-web.jpghttp://www.philotrust.com/images/freedom.jpgVideo from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEEpavnk7Uw&feature=related