The Director of Social Media has three core responsibilities across DDB Group – Social Intelligence (insights gathered through social media), Community Management and Social Strategy (as part of a broader brand and communications strategy).
MAPexpo 2012 - James Quinlan (Director of Social Media, DDB Group)
Every Day Is MondayPersonal Branding In The Era Of Always On5 October 2012
Two questions Who is this guy? Am I in the right room?
I, QJames QuinlanDirector of Social Media, DDB Group Sydney@jayjayquinlan
Career TrajectoryCompleted three degrees Worked in the law in Started in advertising in at university. construction/engineering account management, and litigation practices. then worked client side, then in strategic planning and now in social media.
The best advice that I was ever given “Do something else before getting into advertising.” Source: Quinlan archive
The best advice that I’ve ever given “Be interested and interesting.” Source: agegrouper-helder.blogspot.com
1. Stand for something “If you stand for something you will always find some people for you and some people against you. If you stand for nothing you will find nobody against you and nobody for you.”* *Bill Bernbach, original Mad Man and the “B” in “DDB”. Source: lvadvertising.blogspot.com
1. Stand for something “You don‟t stand for something, you fall for anything” Source: concreteplayground.com.au
2. Diversify• Director of Social Media• Co-founding a new industry body• Lecturer• Blogger• Writer• Staff mentor• Graduate recruiter• Trend spotter Source: endeerdesign.com
6. Stay on brand Source: zdigital.com.au Source: franklarosa.com
7. Interesting in = interesting out Source: djspooky.com
And finally, a word from my sponsor Source: dantexxi.deviantart.com“When we started our agency, we had in mind precisely the kind of people we wanted with us. There were two requirements: You had to be talented and you had to be nice. If you were nice but without talent, wewere very sorry, but you just wouldn‟t do. We had to „make it.‟ And only great talent would help us do that. If you were a great talent, but not a nice person, we had no hesitation in saying „No.‟ Life is too short to sacrifice so much of it, to living with a bastard.”