1. “ FAST, LOW-COST DEVICEUSES THE CLOUD TO SPEED UP DIAGNOSTIC TESTING FOR HIV AND MORE” AND“NOVEL TEST STREAMLINESTESTING FOR HUNTINGTON DISEASE” MANUELA JIMÉNEZ OBANDO MEDICINE STUDENT UPB 2013
2. There are many techniques that are used in molecular biology, forexample, PCR (polymerase chain reaction) or ELISA. PCR pretends to amplify DNA oRNA, using enzymes in vitro, andis useful in the detection of genetical disease like Huntington.
3. ELISA is a low-cost immunoassaytechnique that finding antibodies or antigens, is really useful in the detection of different diseases.
4. “FAST LOW-COST DEVICE USES THE CLOUD TO SPPED UP DIAGNOSTIC TESTING FOR HIV AND MORE”Clinic a l Che m is try , January 18,2013
5. “FAST LOW-COST DEVICE USES THE CLOUD TOSPPED UP DIAGNOSTIC TESTING FOR HIV AND MORE” Samuel K. Sia developed an advanced technique that he proposed to provide a It consists of a handheld mobile device that disgnostic service with a lab-quality, to only by picking a finger and getting a people in remote areas of the world , sample, can give the results in just 15 who can´t go to a hospital facility. minutes (faster than ELISA). This test allows a real-time synchronization of diagnostic results with patient records in the cloud.
6. “FAST LOW-COST DEVICE USES THE CLOUD TOSPPED UP DIAGNOSTIC TESTING FOR HIV AND MORE” The possibility to give quick results allows real-time data upload, resulting in easier epidemiological analysis; this is one of the contributions to the medical world: the prevention of some diseases (HIV for example).
7. “FAST LOW-COST DEVICE USES THE CLOUD TOSPPED UP DIAGNOSTIC TESTING FOR HIV AND MORE” Sia has now other bigger objetives with his “lab on a chip”: “To implement an antenatal care panel for diagnosing HIV and sexually transmitted diseases for pregnant women in Rwanda”
8. “FAST LOW-COST DEVICE USES THE CLOUD TOSPPED UP DIAGNOSTIC TESTING FOR HIV AND MORE” I think what Sia is d oing is a great contrib utio n to the develo pm ent of m edical techno logies, because it b rings the possibility of getting a diagnosis to people who can ´ t go OBSERVATION: to a h ealth facility or who live in undeveloped countries. On the other side, this techno logy facilitates the inform ation to epidem iological stud ies.
9. “NOVEL TEST STREAMLINES TESTING FOR HUNTINGTON DISEASE”The Journal of MolecularDiagnostics, Volume 15, Issue 2 (March 2013) published by Elsevier.
10. “NOVEL TEST STREAMLINES TESTING FOR HUNTINGTON DISEASE” This disease is a neurodegenerative disorder (oringinated by the Huntingtina, a proteinHUNTINGTON encoded by repeted sequences of “CAG”) DISEASE This protein accumulation affects specially the brain and the expression of symptoms is directly related with the number of repetitions. Symptoms are often related with problems in mood or cognition, diminished muscle coordination, with consequences which are evident on walking, speaking and other daily life activities. This people also has changes in personality and thinking skills.Neurons with Nuclear inclusions
11. “NOVEL TEST STREAMLINES TESTING FOR HUNTINGTON DISEASE” A new test : TP PCR Generates accurate results The study used 246 samples that were previously by counting the analyzed with other methods (with possitive and repetitions of the sequence negative results for HD), and the samples results and doesn´t need coincided. additional tests
12. “NOVEL TEST STREAMLINES TESTING FOR HUNTINGTON DISEASE” The TP PCR based its analysis in the fact than 39 or more repetitions Even 101 repetitions could be of “CAG” determinates the risk of accurately sized with TP PCR. developing HD. Also samples that were really difficult to analyze with other methods, and were considered a challenging, had easy and accurate results with this new test. Another advantage of TP PCR is the ability to identify the homozygous normal samples and avoid further tests. However, in children further tests are recomended.
13. “NOVEL TEST STREAMLINES TESTING FOR HUNTINGTON DISEASE” OBSERVATION: I think that using TP PCR it is possible to reduce the number of false negative, that would be really useful for people who has HD, because it is a grave disease that affect in a big way the life of patients who suffer from it; they can develop diminished muscle coordination that is evident on walking and speaking during the daily life. This people also have changes in personality and thinking skills.
14. MEDICAL UTILITY The easier, and more effective diagnosis of a lot of diseases like Huntington.
15. MEDICAL UTILITYReduce the number of falsenegatives in some diseases.
16. MEDICAL UTILITY …And gives a faster way to prevent and start a treatment in positive cases.
17. MEDICAL UTILITY Gives the possibility of a diagnosis and control tests to places in the world without access tospecialized laboratories. And do it with a low-cost and fast way.
18. BIBLIOGRAFÍA Martínez,Lina; Vargas,Natalia; Toro,Eduardo; Pamplona,Ana; Quevedo,Esteban.“Biología molecular”.Ed7. 2012. Pp.121-127 Mohamed Jama, Alison Millson, Christine E. Miller, Elaine Lyon. Triplet Repeat Primed PCR Simplifies Testing for Huntington Disease. The Journal of Molecular Diagnostics, 2013; DOI: 10.1016/j.jmoldx.2012.09.005 C. D. Chin, Y. K. Cheung, T. Laksanasopin, M. M. Modena, S. Y. Chin, A. A. Sridhara, D. Steinmiller, V. Linder, J. Mushingantahe, G. Umviligihozo, W. El-Sadr, S. K. Sia. Mobile Device for Disease Diagnosis and Data Tracking in Resource-Limited Settings. Clinical Chemistry, 2013; DOI: 10.1373/clinchem.2012.199596