2. Passive Optic Network Introduction Why PON PON advantages PON Types PON Establishment Multiplexing Techniques Main PON Systems Comparisons GPON in India Future Technologies in PON
3. Introduction Residential and small businesses demand for latest services and application increased exponentially. Creating Bottleneck problem in tradition access networks. PON gives solution with its low cost of deployment. Point to multipoint single path connection using passive splitter, Combiner, connectors. Saves maintenance cost, equipment distribution, power supply and more optimal and efficient utilization of optic fiber set-up. Most economic network with optic fiber specifications.
4. Why PON HDTV, video telephony, Live TV, Gaming services demand. Higher bandwidth demand for these services. Improved service reliability and simplicity via PON.
5. PON Advantages 1Gbps speed for <20km distance Broadcasting takes place in downlink. In uplink service channel shared by users. No power utilization in OF network as optic splitters used and no down time risk.
6. PON Types
7. PON Establishment First ATM based PON also known as APON has transmission rate of 54Mbps. Introduced in 1990’s by FSAN for existing voice and phone services. APON was replaced by BPON due to increased bandwidth and new services demand. Effective in LAN, MAN and backbone networks. But higher in cost and complex. Further to it EPON has higher success rate due to low cost and simplicity, adapted in IP traffic network. GPON introduced after to it costs 10 times higher than EPON network.
8. Multiplexing Techniques1. Wavelength Division Multiplexing-PON Non-Standard Costly Equipment Separate wavelength for each ONU possible Variation with temperature change occures2. Time Division Multiplexing-PON Standard Less-costly Broadcasting in TDM Does not vary with temperature change
9. 1. WDM-PON
10. 2. TDM-PON
11. Main PON Systems APON and BPON rapidly replaced via EPON and GPON due to future scope and services support. Mainly concentrating on EPON and GPON .
12. Ethernet PON EPON taking place in Asia region Uses Packet data transmission scenario Uses standard IEEE 802.3ah (1 Gb/s),IEEE 802.3av (10Gb/s) Principle- Downstream direction, Upstream direction
13. Ethernet PON Architecture
14. EPON Downstream Direction Principle
15. EPON Upstream Direction Principle
16. Gigabit PONFeatures-Operational wavelength-downstream 1500nm Upstream 1350nmOpen bandwidth allocation-SBA (static bandwidth allocation) DBA (dynamic bandwidth allocation)Hybrid of both EPON and ATM-PONData rate-downstream 2.5Gbps Upstream 1.25GbpsEnables Triple Play (video-audio-data), IPTV, Live TV.Range-<60km without any Reapeter.
17. Gigabit PON Architecture
19. GPON in India NEW DELHI, December 5, 2011 “The cost-effective GPON will prove to be a game-changer technology for India…it can be used to provide triple play (voice, video and data). The present GPON standards specify 2.5 Gbps (Gigabit per second) downstream and 1.25 Gbps upstream data capability to customer premise. Apart from urban areas, especially multi-dwelling units, the large data carrying capability is important for Indian villages too where prevailing low literacy levels will necessitate information with greater graphic and audio content for better dissemination. It will give a boost to broadband connectivity across India,” _ Union Minister of Communications and IT Kapil Sibal .
20. Future Technologies in PON 10GPON 1-2Gbps Pre-existing 1GPON platform 10GEPON 1-10Gbps IEEE 800.3av An Amalgamation of CWDM & TDM Can established on Pre-existin 1GEPON optic fiber network, the only change is to replace 1GEPON ONU to 10GEPON ONU