2. This is an invitation – an opportunity for individuals and corporations tobecome a part of TEDMED’s multi-disciplinary community of innovators and leaders who share a common determination to create a better future in health and medicine.
3. History of mankind is filled with astonishing leaps of imagination and invention thathave produced huge gains in our quality of life.TEDMED is a celebration of human achievement and the power of connecting theunconnected in creative ways to change our world in health and medicine.TEDMED is a multi-disciplinary community of innovators and leaderswho share a common determination to create a better future in healthand medicine.Today’s challenges in health and medicine are rooted in a complex webof poorly understood interdependencies among social, commercial, economic,regulatory, cultural and medical issues.Progress against our challenges demands our best thinkers and doers from everydiscipline, whether in health and medicine or not, to figure out how to connect theseemingly unconnected.
4. Treating.Teaching. Transforming.‘the other song’ is an integrated Homoeopathic Clinic, Training, and Research Academydedicated to:• Holistic patient care and total well-being• High-quality student-practitioner education and training• Advanced clinical research and documentationIt is a meeting point for the best minds in homoeopathy from around the world,supported by modern medical practioners and alternative healing therapists, thatcome together to ‘the other song’ academy, a center for holistic and integrated healing.‘the other song’ aims to provide the best quality healthcare to all its patients,by delivering a blend of homeopathic treatment with parallel healing techniques likeyoga, meditation, music and nutrition. It believes that the future of health and medicinewill be shaped by vital input from leading medical colleges, teaching hospitals,government agencies, and non-profit institutions around the world.And so, in a spirit of collaboration and information sharing, we decidedto bring the first ever TEDMED Live event to India.
5. TEDMED 2013 is scheduled at the Kennedy Center, DC from 16th to 19th April 2013.And via simulcast in affiliated auditoriums around the world.‘the other song’ has affiliated with TEDMED to broadcast this event in Mumbai,a first of its kind for India.While the event will consist of talks from the TEDMED event in DC,it will also have live talks from our own renowned Indian speakers from themedical & healthcare industry.
7. Dr. Rajan Sankaran (Live) -‘the other song’. Dr. Swaroop Rawal (Live) -Changing lives through drama.Renowned homeopathic physician, Dr. RajanSankaran has found that stress comes not A theatre actress and former Miss India,from external reality but the specific way in completed her Ph.D (Education) from thewhich each one of us perceives it. University of Worcester, UK; with the thesis “The role of drama in enhancing life skills inAt the deepest level our experience is not out children with specific learning disabilities in aof outer reality, but a constant inner sensation. Mumbai School.”It is our constant companion, the other song She has demonstrated the uniquenessthat keeps singing within us, shapes our of drama and its capacity to act as an agentpersonality, determines our life patterns, and is of change in children’s lives throughthe underlying factor behind our stress. experiential learning.
8. Prof. B. Ravi (Live) -Innovating high-quality Salvatore Iaconesi (Simulcast) -Can a poetlow-cost medical devices and a loving community make cancer a thing of beauty?Moved by an orthopedic surgeon to savethe limbs of children affected by bone cancer, Artist, open-source engineer, and TED fellowProfessor Ravi at IIT Bombay raised a Salvatore Iaconesi will share the beauty andmulti-disciplinary team who developed a knee power he discovered in collaboration.endo-prosthesis system at less than one thirdthe cost of comparable devices. In collaboration with a wide range of institutions, enterprises and internationalThis was achieved within four years, starting research groups, Salvatore actively participateswith zero previous experience, by leveraging in global discussions and efforts focused onCAD and Simulation technologies. Hear the freedom and new forms of expression. Anotherinspiring story of OrthoCAD team, and how focus of this work is our planet’s future withthey are scaling up medical device innovation regard to energy, environment, multi-culturalin India. societies, gender mutation, sustainability and innovation for both society and business.
9. BKS Iyenger (Live) -Ancient wisdom of yoga Rajeev Kumar (Live)sutra to create healthier world. A remote diagnostic equipment to revolutionize healthcare in rural areas.A legendary figure in Yoga, he finds themeaning of the yoga sutras by his practical Rajeev is one of the founders ofsearch and regular practice of yoga. Neurosynaptic Communications, a company whose mission is to develop ICT basedThus, he has helped all to experience the products and technologies that can create awisdom of the yoga sutras. His style of positive impact on the global rural population.teaching yoga is called "Iyengar Yoga" and is It works to enable access to quality healthcarenow being followed by certified teachers across for rural and remote population and uses athe world. remote medical diagnostic platform to connect every component of the healthcare ecosystem.
10. Dr. Bhushan Punani (Live) Eli Beer (Simulcast)Experience how innovative ways of rehabilitation How can we save 40,000 lives in 3mins or less?can transform people with Disabilities. Eli Beer was born in Israel, where he witnessedHe is the Executive Director of the Blind his first terror attack at the age of seven. ThisPeople’s Association, Ahmedabad, one of the traumatic experience, coupled with his desiremost leading disability development NGOs in to help save people, encouraged him to becomethe country. He is Rehabilitation Advisor for a volunteer medic. With 25 years of life-savingIndia to Sightsavers as well as CBM SARO experience, he has responded to some of the(north, Treasurer of the Credibility Alliance worst civil, wartime and terror-relatedand Chairperson of the ICEVI West Asia.). incidents. He is the Founder and President of United Hatzalah; lecturer to health organizations worldwide on the importance of receiving medical care within the first few minutes of an incident through a network of volunteers.
11. Dr. Madan Kataria (Live) Malav Sanghvi (Live) -The Walking StickThe “Guru of Giggling.” Malav is a product designer from the NationalThe ‘Guru of Giggling’ , is the founder of Institute of Design, Ahmedabad.Laughter Yoga Clubs movementstarted in 1995. His Walking Aid Support Stick winning I- Design Award Winner for Medical EquipmentAmazed by the number of studies showing and Devices Design Categoryprofound physiological and psychological in 2012.benefits of laughter, he decided to find a wayto deliver these benefits to his patients and He plans are to bring design awareness toother people, the result was “Laughter Yoga”. Indian people, intervene design studies in school curriculums, work in the area of sustainable and green design, research and innovation, visual appeal of the product and to bring India on the Design map of the world.
12. Rahul Panicker (Live) Sue Austin (Simulcast)Embrace the creative talent of transforming needs When is a wheelchair an ultra-light submarine?to products. Sue Austin is a multimedia, performance and installationCo-founder and President of ‘Products of artist with a socially engaged practice. As ArtisticEmbrace’, a social enterprise bringing to Director and Co founder of Freewheeling she “recognizesmarket a low-cost infant warmer that can work the power of starting at the ‘personal’ and findingwith or without electricity, for use in rural archetypal, numinous images that ‘communicate’areas of developing countries. through connecting with universality of human experience.”Rahul Panicker completed a PhD in ElectricalEngineering at Stanford in 2007. He is also an She aims to find dramatic and powerful ways to revealalumnus of Stanfords Institute of Design, the ‘Hidden Secret’ of disability, arguing that thisand received his B.Tech from IIT Madras, ‘secret’, if explored, valued and then shared, can act toIndia. Prior to his PhD, he worked at the heal the divisions created in the social psyche by culturalparticle accelerator at the Stanford Linear dichotomies that define the ‘disabled’ as ‘other’.Accelerator Center.
13. Dr. Kanav Kahol (Live) Dr. David Agus (Simulcast)Experience a leap in connecting technology What is cancer?and healthcare. Dr. David B. Agus is a professor of medicineDr Kahol works towards technology that can and engineering at the University of Southernenable patients to become co-designers of their California Keck School of Medicine and Viterbihealth by actively being participants in School of Engineering and heads USC’sdesigning their health programs and Westside Cancer Center and the Center forprevention programs. Applied Molecular Medicine.Broadly, his research in healthcare One of the world’s leading cancer doctors,encompasses a wide spectrum of state of the David Agus, will show that cancer isnt aart information technology, mobile technology disease, its a process, a lifelong dynamicand sensor technology for public health. balance that goes on in all of us, the "sick" and "healthy" alike.
14. Larry Smar (Simulcast) Victor Wang (Simulcast)Can you coordinate the dance of your body’s 100 How can helping you help me?trillion microorganisms? Victor Wang is Founder and CEO of GeriJoy Inc.He is a member of the National Academy of Considering his grandmother in Taiwan who becameEngineering as well as a Fellow of the depressed due to being home-bound and living alone,American Physical Society and the American Victor started GeriJoy to bring joy to seniors livingAcademy of Arts and Sciences. away from family.For the last 7 years he has been the PI of the These virtual pets serve as real-time avatars for aMoore Foundation CAMERA global microbial worldwide network of humans, who providemeta genomics computational repository and intelligent, compassionate conversation about topicshe serves on the Scientific Advisory Board of like family photos and news. Essentially, it’s theComplete Genomics, Inc. modern realization of the fabled talking dog, that is able to provide peace of mind for caregivers by updating them on how the senior is doing.
15. The event will be attended by• Ministry of health• Science & Technology Commission, Maharashtra• Top doctors from Tata Memorial Hospital, KEM, MGM, Hiranandani, etc• Doctors & Professors from IITs• Decision makers from medical devices industry• Pharmaceutical companies• Individuals who believe in bringing better medical & healthcare facilities to the world• Top brass from Bajaj Auto
16. PARTNERSHIPSIt is a place for corporations, TEDMED speakers & the TEDMED community from theworld of medicine & healthcare to collaborate in a human – centered way.To get an idea of partnerships in action, please visithttp://tedmed.com/partners/index?ref=partnership-in-action .TEDMED partnerships help bring together exceptional people & creative works, connectingpeople across disciplines, creating conversations & driving action.
17. Program Venue:‘the other song’International Academy of Advanced Homoeopathy1001 Peninsula Heights,C.D. Burfiwala Lane, Juhu lane,Andheri (W) Mumbai – 400058.Tel: +91 (0) 22 42616666Fax: +91 (0) 22 42616677www.theothersong.com/tedmed Schedule: 9:00 - 9:30am – Registrations 9:30 - 11:00 am – Session I (4 talks) 11:00 - 11:30 – Tea Break 11:30 - 1:00pm – Session II (4 talks) 1:00 - 2:00pm – Lunch 2:00 - 3:30pm – Session III (4 talks) 3:30 - 4:00pm – Tea Break 4:00 - 5:30pm – Session IV ( 4 talks) 5:30 - 6:00pm – Vote of thanks