5110 Palo Verde Road, Irvine, CA 92617; email@example.com; Cell Phone: +1-858-610-3060
Executive level business leader with significant experience in US and Int’l Market Entry and Growth Initiatives; and
Product, Portfolio Management. Worked for small to large global companies like Quidel, Eli Lilly, Roche, Bayer in the
medical devices, diagnostics, biotech, and therapeutic fields. Results-oriented strategist with track record in
managing processes from concept to exceed business goals with sustainable outcomes for new and challenging ideas,
products, markets, geographies. Forged alliances and leveraged synergies for business opportunities to penetrate,
develop, and grow new markets with significant competitive barriers. Unique ability to cross boundaries between
various diseases, diagnosis, therapies, technologies, products, functional areas, cultures, segments and channels, to
understand and exceed unmet needs. Flexible to work as an individual contributor or in teams, in US or Int’l.
Marketing, Brand, Portfolio, and Product Mgmt Global, Int’l, Regional, Country Management
Consumer, Retail, Phys, Hosp Segments, Channels Joint Ventures, Alliances, Partnership, CoMktg
Advisory Panels, Key Opinion Ldrs, Medical Mktg Strategic Planning and Business Development
SKILLS & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
• Founded, managing a LLC for global marketing consulting services in the medical field. Developed a business plan
and negotiating funding with investors for a disease management based diabetes products and services concept
in emerging markets with break-even in 2 years, 5 times Return on Investment with $25M+ revenue in 5 years.
• Co-led a 100+ member China launch team. Developed, implemented entry and 5 year growth strategies for Latin
America and Asia Pacific regions. Leveraged int/ext synergies. Supervised, coached direct and indirect reports.
• Negotiated over 30 global agreements, deals, and partnerships; contributed in over 20 due diligence teams for
in-out licensing, new product development, private label and OEM mfg, distribution, contracts and acquisitions.
• Successfully got approval from stakeholders and led a new product and technology platform for Roche in US for a
bedside point-of-care nurse-lab Data Management System, generating > $80M incremental revenue by 3rd year.
OPERATIONS AND ALLIANCE MANAGEMENT
• Built from scratch, managed, streamlined, and laid foundation to expand, businesses with > $25M in revenue and
$15M budget in US, Canada, Western Europe, Asia Pacific, and Latin America including in China, India, and Brazil.
• Led and completed a merger transition and business transfer from Eli Lilly to Roche in 3 months overcoming
premature contract termination issues and sales force morale, while exceeding revenue target by 10%.
• Assigned general management role, established operations, and launched a Roche-Lilly joint venture alliance on
target in eight months in Brazil. Grew team from 5 to over 50 with direct and indirect reports and distributors.
• Achieved break-even in 2 years, 1 year ahead of plan; $8M sales revenue (40% > plan) with #1 in sales in 3rd year.
• Grew business from $2M to >$8M in 5 years: launched over 10 new products and int’l distribution; supervised 2
direct and 5 indirect reports; identified, screened, negotiated, and established a Sales & Service Center in Europe.
GLOBAL MARKETING, PRODUCT & PORTFOLIO, AND INT’L SALES MANAGEMENT
• Developed and managed people, business growth, product & market launch plans. Achieved > 10% incremental
market share in 3 years in US, EU, Asia Pacific, and Latin America including for BRIC specific initiatives.
• Exceeded performance targets in assigned regions: Highest regional annual growth: of 25% in India; 3 year cum.
growth of 35% in assigned regions; recognized for leading only region to achieve sales and profit goals in 2005.
MK 0409 Functional Manas Kanungo Pg 1 of 2
• Streamlined, trained, and coached marketing, sales, and distribution teams; managed channels for $25M lab,
consumer, hospital, segments. Placed 1st robotic sample handling system. Increased sales by 10%, in one year.
• Laid internal and external foundations to grow from $2M to over $10M in sales in 3 years for Quidel.
• Initiated and managed advisory panels; key opinion leaders; reference sites; clinical trials and studies for white
papers, publications, FDA approvals, benefits claims and messaging validation, disease management based
medical marketing programs, and competitive assessments; for professional and consumer targeted products.
• Exceeded goals for Roche-Lilly Joint Venture: Achieved 43% market share by 3rd year; #1 in recommendations,
image, and leadership in the consumer, HCP, Retail pharmacy, and Hospital segments and channels; in Brazil.
• Used Voice of Customer, Quality Function Deployment, market research, and analytical tools to identify, define,
help develop, and launch over 20 new products and technologies for capital, reusable, and disposable portfolios
in the medical devices, life support, critical care, monitoring, therapeutic, biotech, and in vitro diagnostics areas.
• IMM USA, LLC (Int’l Medical Marketing), White Plains, NY: Founder, Consultant (2001 – 2004) 2007 – Present
• Bayer Diabetes Care, Global Strategic Mktg., Tarrytown, NY: Sr. Mktg. Mgr Emerging Markets 2004 – 2007
• Quidel Corp, San Diego, CA: International Marketing Director, Canada & Latin America 1999 – 2001
• Roche Diagnostics, Diabetes Care Division, Indianapolis, IN, USA: 1991 – 1999
o Marketing Manager, Roche Diagnostics, Sao Paulo, Brazil (1998 – 1999)
o Country and Marketing Manager, Eli Lilly JV, Sao Paulo, Brazil (1995 – 1998)
o Global Marketing Manager New Products, BMC, Diabetes Care Div, USA (1994 – 1995)
o Mktg. Mgr US Hospitals, Boehringer Mannheim (Roche), Diabetes Care, USA (1991 – 1994)
• Ohmeda / BOC Healthcare (GE Medical), Critical Care Div, Colombia, MD, USA: Marketing Manager 1989 – 1991
• Bio-Tek Instruments, Biomedical & Laboratory Divisions, Winooski, VT, USA: 1984 – 1989
o International Marketing Director - Asia, Laboratory Division (1986 – 1989)
o Global Mktg. Mgr, Product Mgr, Mktg. Application Eng., Sales Mgr. (’86-’88), Biomedical Div (‘84 – ‘89)
• West Virginia University, Electrical & Biology Depts, Morgantown, WV, USA: Teaching Fellow 1982 – 1983
EDUCATION & TRAINING
Health Care Executive MBA: Expected Aug ‘09, Paul Merage School of Business, University of California, Irvine, CA
Global Leadership Executive Certificate Program: Thunderbird Graduate School of Int’l Management, Glendale, AZ
MS Bioengineering & MS Electrical Engineering: West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, USA
BS Electrical Engineering: National Institute of Technology, Rourkela, India
Training: IDC/Joslin, NPC, QFD, ISO, TQM, Finance, Project Mgmt, FDA, MDRs, Team Bldg, Negotiation/Conflict Mgmt.
PATENTS, PUBLICATIONS, RECOGNITIONS, SYMPOSIA, MEDICAL MARKETING
• U.S., Int’l Patent applied for: Use of the Hematocrit Level and Analyte Reading in Blood Glucose Meters, 2006
• Honorary Diploma, Association of Hospital Engineers, Spain, 1988
• Published in J. of Electrophysiology, & Int’l Congress on Biophysics, in Neurophysiology research areas, 1984 -1985
• Received SBIR Grant, Master Thesis, Vermont State Award from Madeline Cunin, elected to ASTM & ISO Standards
Committees on Ventilators & Resuscitators for a patented, commercialized, Ventilator Simulator/Tester, 1983-’88
• Initiated, Chaired, Presented, Organized, Facilitated, and Managed several public, private Seminars, Symposiums,
Workshops, Conventions, Medical Mktg. & Benefits/Claims related Clinical Studies, Publications, & White Papers.
LANGUAGES: Fluent English; Moderate Portuguese, Hindi, Oriya; Conversational Spanish, Bengali. US Citizen
MK 0409 Functional Manas Kanungo Pg 2 of 2