4G wireless technology
◦ SMS , MMS
◦ CDMA , GPRS , EDGE
◦ Voice Mail
◦ Wireless Internet
◦ Video Calling
History of 4G technology
• Abbreviation of fourth generation wireless technology
• It will provide a comprehensive IP solution where voice , data and
multimedia can be given to user on an “anytime , anywhere” basis.
• It includes several types of broadband wireless communication
system access including cellular telephone system.
• It will provide seamless mobility and internet access at a rate of 100
What is 4G?
• Support for multimedia services like teleconferencing and wireless
• Wider bandwidths and higher bitrates.
• Entirely packet-switched network.
• High internet speed.
• Tight network security.
Features of 4G TECHNOLOGY
• Smart antennas
Technology used in 4G
• Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing
• Allows for transfer of more data than other forms of multiplexing
(time, frequency, code, etc)
• Simplifies the design of the transmitter & receiver
• Allows for use of almost the entire frequency band
-No gaps to prevent interference needed
• The frequencies are spaced so that the signals do not interfere with
each other (no cross talk)
• Parallel Data Transmission
-Allows for the sending of multiple signals simultaneously from the
same antenna (or wire) to one device
OFDM(orthogonal frequency division multiplexing)
An advanced technology that can be used in 4G technology.
• It is typically detected as noise.
• It can use any part of the frequency spectrum, which means that it
can use frequencies that are currently in use by other radio frequency
• It uses a frequency of 3.1 to 10.6 Hz.
• It uses less power , since it transmits pulse instead of continuous
• Special antennas are needed to tune and aim the signal.
UWB(ultra wide band)
• smart antenna can be employed to find tune ,and turn up signal information.
• smart antenna can send signal back in the same direction that they come from.
There are two types of smart antennas-
• switched beam antenna:- It has fixed beams of transmission, and switch from
predefined beam to another when the user with the phone moves throughout
• Adaptive array antenna :- It represents the most advanced smart antenna
approach to data using a variety of new signal It represent the most advanced
smart antenna approach to date using a variety of new signal processing
algorithms to locate and track the user, minimize interference, and maximize
intended signal reception.
• IPv6 means Internet Protocol Version 6 .
• The Internet Protocol (IP) is the method or protocol which data is sent from one
computer to another on the internet.
• Each computer (known as a host) on the Internet has at least one IP that
uniquely identifies it from all other computers on the Internet.
• It includes128 bits, which is 4 times more than 32bits IP address in IPv4.
128-bit IPv6 Address
8 groups of 16-bit hexadecimal numbers
separated by “:"Leading zeros can be removed
:: = all zeros in one or more group of 16-bit hexade
• The basic difference between 3G and 4G is in data transfer and signal
• The highest download and upload speed in 3G are 14 Mbps and 5.8 Mbps
3G Vs 4G
Technology 3G 4G
Data Transfer Rate 3.1MB /sec 100MB/sec
Internet services Broadband Ultra
Bandwidth 5 - 20 MHz 100 +MHz
Frequency 1.6- 2 GHZ 2 – 8 GHz
Network Architecture Wide Area Network Hybrid Network
o Affordable communication services.
o High speed,high capacity and low cost per bit.
o Support for interactive multimedia, voice , streaming video,
Internet and other broadband services.
o Global access, Service portability and scalable mobile
services and variety of quality of services provided.
o Better spectral efficiency.
o seamless network of multiple protocol and air interfaces
Advantages of 4G
o Better Usage of Multimedia Applications
o Virtual Presence: 4G system gives mobile users a "virtual presence" (for example,
always-on connections to keep people on event).Video Conferencing
o Virtual navigation: a remote database contains the graphical representation of streets,
buildings, and physical characteristics of a large metropolis. Blocks of this database
are transmitted in rapid sequence to a vehicle
o Tele- geoprocessing: Queries dependent on location information of several users, in
addition to temporal aspects have many applications.e.g:GIS,GPS
o 4G in normal life .
• Traffic control.
• Mobile phones.
• Sensor on public vehicle.
4G can be best described in one word “MAGIC”, which
• Mobile multimedia
• Anytime Anywhere
• Global mobility support,
• Integrated wireless and personalized services.
Though 4G is facing challenges and problems we believe
that future research will overcome these challenges and
integrate newly developed services to 4G networks making
them available to everyone, anytime and everywhere.