42. RN• Interpret s/sx & respond to them• Pt. education• Medications• IV’s• Treatments• Assess• Care plans• Supervise
43. Expanded Roles (Master’s degree)• Clinical nurse specialist• Pt. care• Pt. education• Consultant• Nurse Anesthetist• Prep for anesthesia• Manage airway,breathing, monitor vitalsigns (vs)• Give anesthesia
44. Expanded roles con’tNurse Midwife:-Provide care before,during & after childbirth-Assist with labor &delivery-Educate mother re: infantcareNurse practitioner:- dx. & assess pt.conditions- Work under Dr.- Conduct healthscreening & physicalexams- Prescribe tests- Educate pt.
46. Reading a Rx1. Dr. ID #?2. Medication prescribed3. What is strength of med?4. How many tablets do you take at a time?5. How many tablets have been dispensed?6. How many refills?7. What is the brand name/generic name?8. Special instructions?
47. Biomedical engineer• Fix medical equipment• Design new medical equipment
48. Mental HealthCounselor:-Works with families through communication- Assists pt. to be more self- sufficient- Works with addictions, maritalproblems, family issues
49. Human Services worker-Assist pt. to function independently-Assist with utilities, finding jobs & housing- Link with agencies
50. Psychologist-Work one on one- Test to dx. problems & find treatment- Evaluate pt. feelings
51. Social worker-Plan discharges-Assist with finding resources- Organize support groups
52. DieteticsDietetic Technician-Screen pt. for nutritionproblems-Follow sanitary & safetystandards-Purchase foodDietitian-Plan nutritious meals-Provide special diets-Supervise dietary staff-Educate pt. re: diet
53. Vision CareOptician:- Fit for glasses- order glasses, contacts- Manage office, sales- Repair glassesOptometrist:- Diagnose visionproblems- Test for diseases- Prescribeglasses/contacts- Prescribe meds for eyes- Run business