WHAT I CAN FIND
OUT ABOUT YOU
Tip of the Iceberg Social Analytics
By Mallory McGuinness
I CAN CALCULATE HOW EFFECTIVE
TWEETS ARE FOR YOUR
• I can identify trends on Twitter in your industry, and determine if you
are identifying these trends as well, and tweeting about them in a
• I can align your tweets with your marketing campaigns, and measure
how effective your Twitter marketing was - did it increase reach?
Were you tweets influencial? Did your campaign increase important,
"power" users' engagment level with your Twitter account?
I CAN TELL YOU ABOUT YOUR
• I can compare your followers with your competition's followers. I can
tell you who is following your competition and not you, and can
calculate common traits of these followers.
• I can analyze your followers, and can tell you traits that your
followers have in common.
• I can look at the tweets that your followers are re-tweeting the most,
and filter out the topic, so that you know which of your tweets are
MAP YOUR CONTENT STRATEGY WITH
MY CALCULATIONS ABOUT YOUR
• Running tests for Lexical
Diversity on your most popular
tweets allows me to identify:
Unique words per tweet
Average word per tweet
I look at these tweets through
your timeline and identify
patterns and trends.
• There are many ways to
examine and classify your
most popular tweets
• With popular tweets grouped
into meaningful categories,
you can focus your efforts on
I CAN TELL YOU WHO TO FOLLOW
• I develop a profile of who to follow by determining who is popular in
your industry, as well as who is first to identify industry trends
• Analyze industry trends over time - who is first to mention, #, link?
• Trace trend retweets to original URL to find power users
• Popularity is calculated by levaraging retweets and favorites
FORM A STRATEGY FROM POWER
• Analyze the people that power users follow - what do they have in
• Analyze followers - what do followers have in comon? Do you and
the power users share any mutual followers? Or share mutual
• Extract a list and small summary of all of the power user's links that
have been shared in their tweets, to use for comparison for the links
you have been tweeting.
EXAMINING PATTERNS OF
• Search a user's "favorite" lists, and pull out common entities.
• Look at retweets and favorites in your industry, and determine what
patterns of behavior are influencing these.
• Find patterns in retweets - find the most popular retweets, the
originator of the retweet, and the text of retweet
• Compile a list of users that have retweeted a status
EXAMINE THE SCOPE OF A USER'S
• Crawl a friendship graph: harvest ID's of a user's followers, followers
of follower's of their followers, and so on, creating a network
representing this user's connections.
140 CHARACTERS: ANATOMY OF A
• RT @ UN: #Trend additional text
• Entities of a Tweet: RT = retweet; @ = mention; UN = username;
# = hashtag with trend; additional text = text, or URL
A tweet can contain more information than it seems!
Any entity of a tweet can be extracted and studied to find behaviors
or patterns that can be used to supplement your SMM strategy
SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING DATA
ANALYSIS CONSULTING IS AVAILABLE
BEFORE THE LAUNCH OF MY ONLINE
• To kick off the website launch, Twitter consulting is available at a
pre-lauch, competitive rate at $40.00 an hour, from 12/23/13 - 1/6/14.
• Consulting comes with a comprehensive report along with raw data,
as well as the data plotted into graphs, diagrams, charts and
• Facebook, LinkedIn, G+, Blogs, Email and Link Building data
analysis will be offered soon.