1. You can see the world and earn academiccredit - when you study abroad, your credits will transfer back to Texas Tech and count towards your degree. You can take coursestowards your major or minor, or explore a new area of study.
2. Your résumé will thank you - did you knowthat less than 1% of U.S. university students study abroad? Your study abroad experiencewill set you apart from others as you apply forgraduate, law, or medical school or apply for a job.The skills you gain while living abroad will giveyou an advantage in just about any career field.
3. You will live in another culture, not just observe it - from Japan to Germany, andArgentina to Australia you can learn about thetraditions, culture and society of another country in a way that tourists never experience.
4. You will meet people from different backgrounds - you can make new friends fromyour host country and from other parts of the U.S., all brought together by the bonds of common experience.
5. You will improve your foreign language skills - put your language studies into action! Learn alanguage by living it, not by reading about it in atextbook. Of course, you dont have to speak anotherlanguage to study abroad. The majority of TTU study abroad programs offer the opportunity to take all classes in English.
6. It will change your life - studying abroad is aunique opportunity for personal growth that will change the way you see the world.
7. You will learn things about yourself and your country - youll gain a more informedperspective on world affairs and the role of the United States in the world.
8. You will gain invaluable life skills - in- creased self-confidence, independence, self-sufficiency, patience, adaptability, cross-cultural communications skills, and awillingness to take on new challenges are all examples of the many personal benefiFIfits of studying abroad.
9. You will never have another classroom setting like it - studying abroad is likely to be very different from what you are used to doing as a student. You may become familiarwith an entirely new academic system and havethe chance to take courses not offered on your home campus. And last, but not least . . .
10. You will have lots of FUN-- meet new people, try new foods and travel to excitingplaces! At the end of your summer, semesteror year abroad, you will come home with myriad stories to share about your wonderful experiences abroad.
Faculty-LedEach year, usually in the summer, more than 45 TTUfaculty take students abroad to locations aroundthe globe. Students enroll in catalog courses, pay TTUtuition and an additional program fee, and partici-pate in the program with other TTU students.
TTU CentersTexas Tech has established international centers in Seville,Spain. Students participating in the semester program canearn 12 hours of language while living with a host family.Catalog courses are taught by TTU faculty, and studentspay TTU tuition and fees and an additional program fee tocover room and board, orientation and excursions.
Reciprocal ExchangeReciprocal Exchange programs allow students to pay TTU tu-ition and fees and enroll in a university abroad. Studentswishing to participate in an exchange program must be in-dependent and able to function with little local universitysupport.
Affiliate Programs )Affiliate programs offer the widest range of programs toTTU students. All programs have been approved by TexasTech and students may choose programs that satisfy ma-jor, minor, core or elective requirements, as well as intern-ships or research abroad. Students on affiliate programsdo not pay TTU tuition, but pay the program directly.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed bythe things that you didnt do than by the ones you did do. Sothrow off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain