1. Becoming China Ready:The Long, Bumpy Road from Startup to Scale bunnie
2. It was winter 2006…
3. Speed Dating in China
4. Speed Dating in China
5. Speed Dating in China
6. Speed Dating in China
7. Speed Dating in China
8. Meeting Mr. China
9. A Wise Man Once Said…• ‘quality, schedule, or price – choose two’• ‘it’s all about the relationships’
10. Outsourcing is a Myth• Think of it as investing in a partnership
11. Is Bigger Always Better? Logo artwork from wikipedia; logos and trademarks are properties of their respective companies
12. It’s not just about low cost. It’s about the ecosystem.
13. It’s a Different World• From the ‘geektour’ screening questionnaire: – Do you have a passport? China visa? – Vaccinations (hep A) – Can you haggle? • In Chinese? – Hardiness • Are you vegetarian? Any other dietary restrictions? • Do you have a sensitive stomach? • Anything you can’t eat? • Can you use a squatter toilet? • Do you get car sick? • Does going the wrong way down a freeway make you panic? • How do you handle jet lag? • Do you enjoy beer? – Politics • Are you aware of anything you have done or said that is critical of the Chinese government or its policies?
14. [Trade] war stories• Be wary of trade barriers – Customs barriers – Regulatory barriers Photo credit: mrswanks via flickr (CC-BY-NC)