Four Obstacles For Buying
I’m afraid of what
might go wrong
I don’t know if you are
The right person to
I don’t see how your
solution will help
I don’t see how I have
CUSTOMERS BUY FROM
SALESMAN THEY :
Let’s Summarize! The
• Builds rapport
• Goes through the approach
• Discusses the product
• Discusses the marketing plan
• Discusses the business proposition
• Closes – asks for the order
Critical success factors
Total belief in products .
Believe in your ability.
Enthuses a customer to feel positive about
your company and products .
Takes full responsibility for all actions .
Passionate about your company (Controllable
The Six Step Approach to
Own product analysis
Rudyard Kiplings’ Six honest serving men ( 6 Ws )
Who is he ?
What does he want Vs like ?
Where to visit him ?
When to visit ?
Why to visit ..my aims ?
Which offer is best for him ?
What does he want Vs like..?
Attitude to the product / company.
Main buying motive (s).
Reasons for Contact
Three-steps plan for interview objectives:
• Determine the doctor’s present prescribing
• Decide how you will change his habit… the
• Plan how to achieve this change…the strategy.
Pre call analysis
Who am I going to see?
What are they presently using?
What do I need to make him get try of my
What are the opportunities?
What are the promotional
materials/samples do I need?
What is my
Why customers Repeat the use of
specific product of specific Company
for specific MS ?
Doctors Prescribing Habit.
Your own objective for every Doctor.
Your Message Should
Reflect AZ’s product strategy
Differentiate the product
Be based on customer needs and
• Be adaptable
The ladder of adoption
A set of milestones that take us to our ultimate objective
Taking the customer from never having heard of our product
To maximum possible usage.
Using 1st. Line in all Rx
Using 1st. Line in 1 Rx
Using 2nd. line
Tried in few ps
Can not happen in one go
The Adoption Curve
Right message is being delivered
Right customers are being seen
Desired coverage is being achieved
The Four Ps of the Marketing
How well am I prepared to
The territory plan.
The core message.
Number of calls.
Frequency per individual customer.
Influencers presentation .
THE ACTUAL CALL
• Make sure you look professional
• Have all materials organized & easy to
• Know your product & that of the
1st. Three minutes
Def. :- degree of mutual under standing
• True RAPPORT makes your objective
The initial favorable impression we create
about our selves through:1. Physical posture
2. Mental words & phrases
3. Emotional mood & emotions
• Make your customer feels comfortable
Show similarity & formality in dress &
speech talk the same language
Be honest & sincere
Appreciate customer’s time precious
create mutual respect
THERE IS NO SECOND
CHANCE TO MAKE
The art of being understood & to
• Making your customer aware of the
reason for your visit
• Assuring him that it will lead to worthy
Non verbal communication
Voice tone matching
Gesture & position during discussion
Establish your credibility while respecting
individual identity ,thus making him feel
comfortable in your presence
• Make it BUSSINESS ORIENTED
• CONNECTION:The all important step of uniting you with
your customer in progress towards your
MAKE YOUR SEAT BELTIGHT
IT IS THE TIME FOR
During the interview
Direct Q: yes/no
Indirect Q: EXPRESS THE OPINION
• I KEPT MY HONEST SIX FRIENDS
THEY TELL ME ALL WHAT INEED
THEIR NAMES ARE
APPROPIATE QUESTIONING:Reflect your mental discipline
Help you to lead the discussion
Control the interview
Discovering the need
• True RAPPORT …..give you the right…..
To ask Q.s during the sales interview
• Questions before the inter view
build your strategy
• Questions after the call
Sub types of indirect Q.s:
• General :-disease or therapy area
• Positive :- class of drugs
• Specific :- your product Vs competitors
• Use encouraging Q.:-
It will be very helpful to know how would
the profile of your HTN patients can
affect the drug prescribed for them
• Use phrase Q:I would welcome your comment on the
efficacy of our product in last 3
It is absolutely active skill not a
passive skill consists of:Conscious hearing
• LISTENING IS THE ULTIMATE SKILL
OF UNDERSTANDING YOUR
• Give non verbal evidence that he listens
Give clear verbal evidence like constructive &
Can detect speaker self interest & motives
Tailor his tone , vocabulary ,phrases & volume
to match the speaker
Respect speaker’s through facts & judgment
Convey his message efficiently
Why it is so important
• To understand the objections
• To listen to Q.s & provide relevant
• To listen not only what is said but how is
• To show concern & interest in customer
• To gather information about your
Assuming that you know
I heard him say this before
Pretending to listen
You don’t listen
Features & benefits
• FEATURE:- the statement that
describe your product
• BENEFITS:-what the feature do for
A problem that A problem your
solve and the
customer wants to
Reps are good at identifying and selling against opportunities without confirming that this is
Something the customer feels strongly about.(How to confirm?)
USING the art of questioning and listening the rep can understand the real issues
facing the Customer (problems) ascertain any areas where our products can
help(opportunities) and uncover the real needs of the customer.
HOW TO DELIVER INFORMATION? OUR PASSION&BELIEF IN OUR
PRODUCT CAN HAVE A MAJOR IMPACT ON HOW WE CONVEY INFO.
MATERIALS WE USE ONLY ASSIST.
DELIVERY/IMPACT OF THE MESSAGE
benefits are at least as
Important as the patient
Features & Benefits
• We are selling our product through its
benefits that gain customer satisfaction
Benefits :- what our product DOES for
the Dr. not HOW it looks like for you
Discover through Q.s
The KEY benefit :- satisfy customer’s
• Main benefit which of all the benefits
satisfy customer's specific need
• Matching with the need
the selling interview
• Visual reinforcement
• Refer to specific Pt. who will benefit
reinforce your message
• Don’t over sell
• Once you’ve obtained your customer
agreement Buying signal
• Don’t introduce new one randomly
• Straightforward linking (which means
that… ,because….. & consequently)
• Your customer agree (watch his
reactions & ask appropriate Q.s)
• What your product can do NOT what
your product is
D. Handling objections
There is no thing personal
Success not failure
Opportunity don’t lose
Your customer needs help …… it is your
Types of objection
MISUNDERSTANDING:• Correct before overcoming the
• You can get the information you need
from the detail aids & clinical trials
• Always restate the appropriate benefits
DOUBT:• Customer doubts the fact of what you
• Resolve & appropriate benefit should be
LIMITATION:• Your product can’t provide what the
customer is looking for
• Minimize & compare +ve & -ve
• Link to appropriate agreed benefit
QUESTION:• To obtain information
• Listen carefully
• Integrate the key benefit in your reply
E. Closing & gaining commitment
Keep your seat
Time for actions
• Once the Dr. agrees on the benefit
real buying signal
• Time to ask for business :- be realistic ,
precise & focused
• Don’t forget your original objective
Work / life balance
Call rates, target doctors
1. Closed Q.
• I think your agreement means next
suitable Pts can benefit from….?
By this ……. Will be beneficial for your
• Assume he has bought Rx
• By this ,do we agree that 1st. 2-5 Pts will
be on Rx.
• Will you use … instead of X in the 1st.
• As agreed, can we say that Rx is an
important alternative therapy to your
• You tell him success story of another
Dr. with Rx ,then ask closed Q.
• WILL YOUR PATIENT BENEFIT THE
6. SHARP ANGLE APP.
• If the Dr. ask you (will my Pts benefit
from Rx ?
• This means Dr. is very important to your
• If Rx offers it ,will it benefit your next
• Hear carefully
• Get his agreement for understanding
• Answer appropriately
• Confirm that the answer satisfies the
• Dr. if this information on ATACAND of
interest to you ,perhaps you could use it
for the next 4 HTN patients.
• Doctor ,if you use SYMBICORT for your
asthmatic patients,you will be probably
pleased with the results.
• Dr.,I made sure that the pharmacy has
enough stock for the next x patients
whom you will prescribe LOGIMAX for.
• Dr., would you be willing to try
ATACAND for some of your HTN
patients intolerable for their
• Dr.,do you feel confident to start
prescribing SYMBICORT for you
asthmatic patients ?.”can you think of
specific pats now?”
• Which is the type of patient you will
start using IMDUR for now?
• Dr.,now we agreed on the benefits that
ATACAND ensure reliable control for your
patients,would you consider prescribing it for
your HTN patients?
• Dr.,from your comments it seems that
SYMBICORT sounds useful for your patients,
would you consider prescribing it for the next
• Dr.,since you have seen LOGIMAX
proven efficacy for your HTN
patients,would you consider using it for
the next 4 patients(newly discovered).
• Dr., did I bring you any thing today that
might cause you to consider using
SYMBICORT more frequently.
• Polite acceptance is not enough
• You need strong & firm agreement on
• To make sure that customer has taken
Raise any hidden
• Gaining binding commitment to buy…is what
our job is all about.
• It is the skill above all others that bring you
the real sales success.
• It is a matter of pride and job satisfaction
to generate sales, rather than feeling shy.
Can the customer
Does he know
Will be benefit
As a result of
Commitment for Follow Up
Ask your customer
For product usage
Appointment to check
product use and ensure
That pharmacy has stocks
F. Post call analysis
• Write call summary (what took place in your
Did you meet your objective ?
Did the Dr. request follow up information?
Did the Dr. give you commitment ?
Next step/ next call objective