Human Resource Management is the
function within an organization that deals
with issues related to people such as
management, organization development,
safety, wellness, benefits, employee
motivation, communication, administration,
Medical, Food, Housing
The purpose of human resource
management is to improve the productive
contribution of people to the organization
in ways that are strategically, ethically, and
Objectives are benchmark against which
actions are evaluated.
Human Resource Activities are actions that are
taken to provide and maintain an appropriate
workforce for the organization. Not every
organization undertakes every activities. HR
departments simply focus on the activities that
are most important for the organization .
Human Resource activities are actions that are taken to provide and maintain an
appropriate workforce for the organization
As demand change
With an eye
new staffing need
With an eye
are tuned to the
Union – management relations
activities and objectives
activities, challenges to &
from the environment.
Human Resource Management
•Effective and efficient solutions are
generally more likely to be found if
managers and HR departments use
•It improves productivity by minimizing
the resources needed to respond to
changes in the environment or to
produce the organization’s goods or
•It is a major step in enhancing
•It occurs when HR problems. Are
anticipated and corrective action
begins before a problem arises.
•Mangers and HR departments cannot
always wait for feedback and then
•Waiting until an actual problem occurs
and then reacting may be
inappropriate and costly.
•Reactive Human Resource
Management occurs when decision
makers respond to HR problems.
1. Since HR department are typically seen as a cost of operations, explain how
they contribute to an organization’s ability to confront the increased
globalization of business now taking ;lace throughout the world.
2. Describe the purpose and primary objectives of an HR department.
3. Why is improved human productivity important to organizations?
4. Explain the relationship between societal needs and the activities of a human
5. What benefits exist when the HR department is viewed with a systems
6. Why is proactive approach to human resource management more
7. If a Bank opened a branch in a distant city, what activities would the HR
department need to undertake before a fully operational and staffed branch
was ready for business?