• To solve a problem by enriching the
field of application of a discipline.
• To collaborate with several
disciplines for solving a problem.
• To study the individual cases
without an objective to generalize.
• To recognize the study variables that
are constantly changing.
• To try to spell out how things can be
• To report in a common language.
SEEKS ACTION TO
IMPROVE PRACTICES &
STUDY THE EFFECT OF
THE ACTION THAT WAS
• Is a form of applied research that
aims to empower people
through a process that
constructs & uses knowledge.
• It aims to find practical solutions
to problems existing in the
framework of an organization.
• It increases understanding of how a
change in an individual’s action or
practices can benefit an employee
within an organization.
• Changes thus planned are locally
implemented in a selected
organizational setup & there fore
are not universally applicable.
• PAR-Participatory Action Research is
a branch of action research which
emerged in 1940’s.
• It was started by Kurt Lewin, a social
• The problem is researched, changed
& researched within the research by
the participants & researchers.
• It is co researched by those who
will be benefitted by the
outcome of the research.
• Action taken through planning
& fact finding is expected to
bring about future &
DATA COLLECTION METHODS
• Following data collection methods are
used in action research :
• Story telling.
• Socio drama.
• Drawing & painting.
• Plays & skits.
• Other creative ways like explore
lives, tell stories & recognize own
• Action research has the ability to
exert power if it involves
collaboration between study
participants & the researcher.
• The research process has potentials
to improve practice & research
based applications & researchers.
• The habit of thinking, ability to work
harmoniously with others & a
professional collaboration will
improve professionalism &
knowledge related to an individual's
• Action research helps in recognizing
strengths & areas of improvement.
An action research on the
practicability of western nursing
practice protocols in Indian health