EDUCATION OF ADOLESCENT
What Teachers can Think and Do ?
M K Mishra
We And They :History of Time
• Do our history of time is similar to the history of time of
our future generation ?
• In what respect our time was different from these
• Do we know that they know much better of our
weaknesses than our strengths?
• Why this happened? Where did we lost our beloved
• What did we wish to make them like us ?
• Why did not we allow them to be what they wanted to be
Pass out syndrome –in single curriculum – no scope for
multiple curriculum based on students innate
capabilities- but “fit in system”
Rote memory –examination and grading.
No dream for multiple talents
If failed, no hope for future
If passed, unemployment
No youth policy to channelize the talents
• Utter neglect of youth resource
• Abuse,, neglect ,poor result, uncertain future
• Youths join in crime, terrorism and unsocial
• Threatened democracy and loss of social
How our students spend their time
Consider if youth engage their most of the time in
1. Cinema - 12 hours in a week
2. Cricket – most of the time 6 hours in a day
3. Mobile - 3 hours in a day
4. Market - 1 – 2 hours in a day
5. Group entertainment – 25 hours in a week
6. Students from this back ground comes to school
and we teach them
With all these in mind how do they engage their
mind with learning ?
Why this happened
• Indian market is dependent on children and adolescents
• Most of the fashion is adopted by the youths
• Market economy of India in collaboration with other
country has decided to engage the youths in cinema,
cricket, mobile , computers, internet and such other techs.
• global market want to capture the purchase capacity of
• Why there is match fixing in cricket ?? What the youths
gain out of it?
• Why all these are so attractive to youths?
• And why not the school subjects ?
Kill the morals and create the market
• Values and morals have been replaced by market price
• Children and youths have been trapped by technology
• Parents are also proud of their children’s use of
• Past values has been forgotten
• We are unable to understand our future generation
• western world want our youths to become slave than
• Instrumentalism and information makes a man machine
• educational values build humanity
• We are rapidly loosing our social and moral values
• It is not only youths , we have also partially lost our values
Pedagogy to andragogy
• Child Learner/Pedagogy
• Unknown to known
• Less social role and
• Subject centred learning
• Externally motivated
• Adult learner/Andragogy
• Known to exploring
• Identity, personality, self
• Problem centred learning
• Internally motivated
Changes or transformation?
• Childhood to puberty
• Changes in boys
• Changes in girls
• Parents care / neglect /
• Fear ,ignorance
• hate,anxities, cultural
moors, mother’s hate and
restriction, socialisation in
case of girls, sacred and
profane- purity of body
• Their physical development affect their
personality , individuality, identity , naming
• Intellectual development takes place
• hero worship,
• Adventure, friendship,courage,freedoom from
parents and teachers and taking self
• Ability to draw conclusion at 14
• Dreaming big to be some one – film
hero/cricket hero as ideal model
• Impose self decision
• Fix goal of life for them
• Ignorance of what they
think and want to be
• Disallow discussion/
• Don’t explore the inner
• Ignore what youths know
and impose subjects to
Culture And Youth
• Fixed social rule for boys
• Very good
• Use traditional devices
• Respect the old
• Group for a cause
• Games, music, play
• using hi tech. and reject
the recent tech.
• get always new- discard
21st Century Youths
• How they are identified ?
Beauty- dress- fashion or good book reader, painter, musician,
player ,actor, social worker
• Who is their role model? In what major activities
they engage every day?
• Film hero /cricket hero/musician/DADA
• What are their common activities ?
• Games, feasting , travelling ,adventure
• What do they like more and dislike more ?
• Likes: Freedom, independence,
• Dislikes: Interference, dominance,
• Reject parents persuasion and ignores teachers advise.
• Heterogeneity of race, language and religion,
• Experiencing diversities, change in thinking
and high order of logical concepts,
• Higher psychological functions, problem
solving and critical thinking
Do we know ??
• we represent a time which is mismatched without future
• we wish our children to be like us which is wrong
• We fail to guide them based on their own talent
• We are dogmatic, not updated with the change that comes around
us and back ward
• May be we are good subject experts- but we lack the
• We also are trapped to a system of rotten educational system
where we lost our country’s knowledge
• we also did not explore the best of the world in education
• We divided math and science as marker of progress and literature
and social science as subordinate to it. This came from the
US/Eurocentric market economy conspiracy.
Two mega strategies
to fight this
• Understand that we will not teach unless we
understand to whom we are to teach and why
teaching is necessary to the youths
• The subjects we teach must be useful to the youths
- heart at first and then mind ( possibly hand ?)
• Pedagogy of Love and not authority –
• Authority over subjects
• Ability to deliver creatively to create curiosity and
thinking in the youths
• Learning from the youths and self actualise
• Mutual learning – no teaching without learning and
no learning with out teaching
Love and Freedom with
• Youths love freedom, recognition, self respect,
• Want space to show their talent
• Given chance they will show their heroism
• They respect us if we recognise them
• Love the youths and get responsible youths
with love and knowledge
Can the youths get a responsive
• Why not ?
• We will rethink on young generation
• we will give them dream
• We will work together with the youths
in/out side classroom to shape them
according to their own talent
• Our past knowledge will help us to do this
• Our subjects are entry point to youth
• we must find such topics that will help us in
safeguarding their interest, talent, curiosity,
character building( not strictly), self image,
recognition, praise, and responsible,
• Parents may not help the youths in shaping
their life , except funding , but we teachers
gie them a dream to grow up.
Our subjects for youths
• Language and literature can transform the heart of the
youths to become imaginary, emotionally
healthy,creative,beautiful mind and aesthetic sense
• Mathematics can give our youths sense of logic, truth
and reason and problem solving
• Science can give them experimentation, application ,
exploration of one’s own environment to see meaning
fully and connected ness
• Social science can give them social harmony, tolerance,
cultural democracy,living in diversity, and social
• History can inspire youths to become a part of history
making ( not history reading)
Fill up the list
• Art and craft
• Sports music,drama…………….
• We open our heart for the youths
• we become the authority of knowledge than
authority on students
• We explore our heritage and culture to
rebuild our youths moral and ethics.
• We expand our heart to capture the hearts
of the youths through respecting them as our
own progeny of knowledge.