From Africa to Europe
After reading the text, answer in detail:
• What are the main migration routes to Europe?
• What groups are reaching the EU?
• Why do people try to cross the border illegally ?
• What are the push factors ?
• What are the pull factors ?
• You are now to begin a piece of creative writing
about migration to the EU.
• Imagine that you are one of the many Africans
desperate to get into the EU, bearing in mind the
numerous push and pull factors that you are
• You cannot cross the border legally; you must
• You are to produce a piece of writing telling the
story of how you managed to cross the border (or
How to write creatively…
use the past tense
first person viewpoint (ie. “I”)
in chronological order (ie. Order of time)
opening paragraph: describe your situation, your feelings and
2nd paragraph: the start of your journey, perhaps mentioning
the push factors
3rd paragraph: your journey over the border, still mentioning
push but also pull factors
use adjectives to project the mood and describe your feelings
include lots of your feelings; how would you feel if you got
Try to include
• Details of the push factors that are making you
want to move.
• What was attracting you towards the USA (pull
• How you travelled over the border ?
• Any danger you experienced along the way; did
you meet the border patrols, did you pay a
‘coyote’ to help ?
• What you did if you managed to cross the border
Final 3 slides adapted from Carly Goodwin’s
presentation, available from
A letter home
An e-mail home
A phone conversation