On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
A Study on Advertising Activities of Bharti Airtel,
Madhu Babu Bhogadi
Objectives of the study
• To know the advertising Effectiveness of Airtel Cellular
• To find out the awareness level of customers about Airtel
• To know the influencing factors of Airtel.
• Initially as Bharti Tele-Ventures in 1995.
• Later changed to Bharti Airtel limited in 2006.
• Bharti Airtel has nearly 271.8 million total customers
(183.61 million in India)
• Broadband & telephone services in 20 countries .
• Bharti Airtel third largest player in the world.
• The company also has it’s presence in all 23 circles of
• Headed by Mr. Sunil Bharti Mittal
• Advertising is a form of communication intended to persuade an audience (viewers,
readers or listeners) to purchase or take some action upon products, ideas, or services.
• It includes the name of a product or service and how that product or service could
benefit the consumer, to persuade a target market to purchase or to consume that
• Different types of media can be used to deliver these messages, including traditional
media such as newspapers, magazines, television, radio, outdoor or direct mail, or new
media such as websites and text messages.
• The main objecties to be considered for an effective advertising are
• “AISI AZADI AUR KAHAN”, this campaign was launched mainly for
the prepaid subscribers.
• “SIGNATURE TUNE”, this tune used for Brand Recall ability.
• “Dil Jo Chahe Paas Laaye”, this initiative was taken to target the
corporate and post-paid subscribers with its new communication.
• “Har Ek Friend Zaroori Hota Hai”, modified to focus on the youth and
targeting itself as “The friendship brand”.
• “Jo Mera Hai Who Tera Hai”, which complemented the earlier ad,
focusing on friendship.
Power to keep in touch
Live Every Moment
Porter’s 5 Forces
1. Threat from Competitors
• BSNL, Vodafone, MTNL, Idea, Aircel, Uninor, Docomo, and Reliance.
• Vodafone the main competitor with a 153 million subscribers.
2. Customer Bargaining power
• Attractive Schemes for new connection.
• Availability of all operators everywhere.
• Similar services.
• Low Switching Costs.
3. Supplier’s Bargaining power LOW
• Long term contracts.
• Depend on few telecom operators.
• Presence of many companies.
• Low software cost due to competition.
4. Threat from Substitutes
• Diminishing market for Landline and CDMA.
• Increase in broadband market.
• Increase in DTH market.
5. Threat of New Entrants
• Huge License Fees to be paid upfront & High gestation period.
• Low Spectrum Availability & Regulatory Issues.
• Infrastructure Setup Cost – High.
• Rapidly changing technology.
Findings & Learning's
• 55% of respondents come to know about airtel through advertisements,
followed by 34% through friends and 11% through other sources, like parents,
colleagues and relatives.
• 46% of respondents are interested in nokia+airtel, 22% like Airtel broadband
services, 21% preferred airtel magic and 9% preferred postpaid services.
• 63% of respondents mostly like audio visual in Airtel advertisements followed
19% like print media and 13% like audio.
• 16% of respondents like more talk time and 11% like more validity.73% of
respondents like both.
• 46% of the respondents are forced to use schemes provided by airtel, 29% are
more attracted by airtel advertisements to use airtel,20% of the people believe
that airtel good will,10% like to use because of connectivity.
• First choice of cellular service is airtel that is 40%,15% of people choice
Vodafone, 6% use idea, 2% use aircel, 8% use reliance, 3% use tataindicom,
13% use docomo, 10% use bsnl, 1% use uninor and 2% like to use mts.
• 37% of the people say that advertisements are better than their previous cellular
service, 19% says connectivity good in airtel than previous one and 44% of
people says schemes are more in airtel.
• 49% of respondents are like advertisement through television in telecom
service, 27% of the people like newspapers adds, 11% like magazines, 8% like
wall printings and 5% like radio.
• Airtel is most concerned about customers, followed by Vodafone, Idea, BSNL,
Reliance, Docomo, Tata Indicom, Uninor, Aircel and MTS.
• AIRTEL is successful in grabbing the highest market share in India, but there
are still some recommendations from my study point of view is that AIRTEL
have to increase their advertisements through print media.
• AIRTEL not providing more talk time and more validity recharge options. I
recommend that they have to provide that type of recharge options.
• People are showing more interest to buy nokia+airtel combination. I suggest
that Airtel have to concentrate on this combination.
• The company is not concentrating on other types of advertising media.
Network should be expanding to rural villages.
• The company should conduct road shows so as to get awareness in the public
about the product and services.
• First of all company should provide all its dealers and retailers all sort of
promotion equipment such as glow sign board, banner, palm-plates etc. in time so
that they increase their sales which is benefited both retailer as well as company.
• Number of hoarding should be increased.
• To increase the consumer as on network, company should make change in its
FRC plan for example the talk value should be divided in two parts. 50% of talk
value should provide at the time of activation and rest T.T. provide after gap of
• Company should give extra return and other bonus, gifts to its retailers so they put
their full efforts to increase the Airtel sales.
• Company should motivate its sales staff so they will pay more concentration in
sales and activation of new connections.